Restoration/ Painting Question

gagliaj

What is the recommended procedure for painting a pre thirties sedan with a soft insert top? Do you paint the car then install the top; or install the top then paint the car? Appreciate any advise.

Also suggestions on bending the aluminum mouldings.

Thanks

Thanks Steve, that is the way I planned to do it, but a painter I know said to go with the top first then mask off, less chance of damaging the paint while installing the top.

Yes, I have new straight mouldings that will have to be bent to conform to the top oval covering between the sheet metal and the soft top.

Thanks

gagliaj,

Not to just go repeating what Steve already said, but your painter has a good point as well. It all depends on how much work you'll have fastening those mouldings while working over top of a fresh paint job. Personally, I like to edge in some paint around the top crown, or moulding area of the body, install the top material, moulding and then paint the body. However, I've done them both ways many times.

As for bending those mouldings, I usually make up a wooden jig for the radius needed. It's better than trying to do it by hand.

Good luck!

Rick

The best way to tackle this in my opinion;

Put the top material in place, have the mouldings bend to fit, drill the holes needed, see to it that you have a perfect fit, take everything off and paint the car.

Use a small amount of modern car windshield sealer between the top material and the paint upon installing, the result will be lasting and excellent. Johan

Guest Silverghost

I would paint the car first!!!

You might find that if you do the top first rust may form around the edges of the top because the metal was not totally primed and painted around the top edges...This is similar to what you would have on a frame-on restoration!!!

Drilling any holes & bending of the trim before the paintwork is a great idea!!!

I look at this just like putting in the interior After the paintwork!!!

GOOD LUCK...ENJOY YOUR PROJECT!!!