Steering Box Help Needed

Smartin

I had this apart to replace the shaft seal at the top there on the picture in October. The car now makes a very apparent vibration when it is steered as if something wasn't quite tight enough in there, and it had just enough play to make some noise.

Now, my big question - the green arrow is pointing to the suspected part that may or may not be tight enough. When I reinstalled it back in the housing in October, I snugged it up to where it felt tight. I then put the lock washer over it, and went along with my business.

I pulled it back apart tonight, and it unscrewed fairly easily. I acutally used a tool to tighten it this time. Wow, new concept!! blush.gif

Could this have been my problem?? How tight does it need to be?

steering_box003.jpg

There should be a torque spec for the "adjuster plug" tightness, or other adjustment criteria, listed in the GM service manual. I suspect that if you can find any GM manual that covers the GM800 (I think that's which one it'll be) steering gearbox, you can find what you might desire to find. I suspect you do have the Master gasket/seal package?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Yes, I bought the whole seal kit back in October and replaced the seal inside the "adjuster plug." It seals great now, but something is vibrating when I make sweeping turns with the wheel.

I have a strong suspicion that I'm supposed to have a restritor in-line of the power steering hose to limit the flow of fluid at the steering box from the pump.

The arrow in the picture is of the car before I tore it apart...and shows the suspected restrictor. Why does nobody seem to know what this is?

engine_reference003.jpg

It could be that the "normal" lash adjustment (on the top of the box, with the jam nut) might need to be revisited. When I got my '68 LeSabre, the steering felt funny and made some "worn out" noises until I got it tightened up some. The box still has some wear in it, but it feels better now.

The "connector" in the line you indicate might have more to do with getting resonances out of the system than fluid restriction per se. Chrysler has used "stepped" hoses, but in greater size differences than on yours, for years (at least with the '70s and prior). Only reason can be to get harmonics out of the fluid flow, I suspect.

The only restriction in the power steering system is in the back of the power steering pump. There's a drilled orifice (which is replaceable) where the pressure line attaches, that governs "boost". A little difference in the hole size can make a BIG difference in steering actions--as in from highly overboosted to normal to less than normal--which is independent from the "feel" imparted by the stiffness (or lack of) of the internal torsion bar in the gearbox. Basically, there have been no more than three different orifice sizes over the years. Too large of an orifice dimension can make the steering have a mind of its own, highly overboosted at the same time, by observation. This is a reason that a replacement reman power steering pump might feel different than the original one you took off.

Once you get the gearbox adjustments taken care of, then you might also get a hand vacuum pump and figure out a way to pull a vacuum on the power steering reservoir. Might be some trapped air in the mix too. I suppose you are using GM-spec power steering fluid?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Adam, your picture raises a question. On occasion I have seen NOS powersteering pump hoses for my 56 on E bay. They do show that metal connector and appears to be original parts.

My question is for the list: Is it really worthwhile to buy and install these 50 year old hoses?

JD

The "key" might be if they are "NOS" or "NORS" hoses OR if they are new hoses with the correct numbers and codes and configuration for the original hoses they will replace.

To me, a 50 year old rubber hose might be great for a 110% correct restoration, but I don't think I'd trust it for a road trip of any length. In any event, I would consider it very fragile.

It could serve a reproduction company well (to build a new repro part off of). Depending upon how it was stored could also determine how valuable it would be in actual use too (as in how much the rubber might have deteriorated/aged over the years).

In many cases, the major brands of "production-style" hoses were usually pretty close to the originals (some were even better as they might have fixed the OEM "problem areas"), but there were also some universal-fit hoses that would look cobbled-up by even standards back then.

Ultimately, it will depend upon what the purchaser's expectations are for the NOS rubber part (while being cognizant of all of the side issues). By observation, the "value" of some parts/items offered for online auction can be more in the mind of the seller than in the minds of the potential purchasers.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467