51 Chevy engine upgrade?

rocketraider

I have the opportunity to get a deceased uncle's 1951 Chevy 2d sedan. Car has been parked inside many years and will require an almost total restoration. Other than cost and labor, it seems that most of the needed parts are readily available as reproduction or nice used so that's no real problem. Car is a pleasant childhood memory and I would like to have it. Keeping it _totally_ original is not an issue.

My question is: I would expect to drive the car at modern road speeds and am a little wary of the splash lube engine. Would prefer upgrading to a pressure lubed Six. What are my simplest engine swap options?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the opportunity to get a deceased uncle's 1951 Chevy 2d sedan. Car has been parked inside many years and will require an almost total restoration. Other than cost and labor, it seems that most of the needed parts are readily available as reproduction or nice used so that's no real problem. Car is a pleasant childhood memory and I would like to have it. Keeping it _totally_ original is not an issue.

My question is: I would expect to drive the car at modern road speeds and am a little wary of the splash lube engine. Would prefer upgrading to a pressure lubed Six. What are my simplest engine swap options? </div></div>

The Chevy 216 was pretty strong, pretty reliable, with regular maintenance, frankly. A 235cid Chevy 6 of the same year would be a direct bolt-in swap, a bit stronger engine, but it's still a splash lube engine.

Bear in mind that in 1951, many, if not most, states had a 65mph speed limit, pretty much what is in force today across the country, except on the interstates. Frankly, with new rings, valves and bearings, your engine should be readily capable of decent driving speeds. Keep in mind, however, that there are other, more limiting factors, when "mixing it up" with modern, 60's and 2000's cars out there: Your car has a much softer, cushier suspension system, so it will not handle nearly as well. Your steering will not be nearly as precise as a modern daily driver. The brakes will be pretty adequate for ordinary use, as long as they are up to spec for the carjust don't go trying to be a rally racer with it, drum brakes do fade much more readily.

All this said, why not give it a first-class mechanical restoration, don't worry about it being able to match a modern rice-rocket, and enjoy the ride. If you are leery about freeway driving with it, why not take a bit more time, hit the 2-lane blacktops, see and ENJOY the sights your Chevy was built to see>

Just a thought.

Art

A friend of mine has a 52 chev that someone before him had installed a ford streight 6 from an 80's ford fairmount/ granada with its ford auto transmision and it has been driven quit a bit even down to Hershey.

Guest imported_JPIndusi

If your original engine is good why not consider a possible rear end swap to a taller ratio to give you some road speed without straining the engine? I do not know what is available for a Chevrolet, but for my 1948 Buick Special I used a later rear end from a dynaflow Buick. Buick pumpkins are interchangeable from 1940 to 1955.

Joe, BCA 33493

I faced that same situation with my 39 Chevy truck. I replaced the 216 splash lubed engine with a 1959 235 pressure lubed. I beleive from 54 on all 6's were insert bearing, pressure lubed. Anyway it is almost a bolt in type job with little modification needed and to the untrained eye it looks original......Bob.