3800 Engine

jonlabree

A very similar manifold was available earlier, maybe back to '89, but it was made in aluminum. I have found a couple in the salvage yard, and it seemed to be only on Oldsmobiles. I have a photo in my archives. I thought about using it for an experiment but a bunch of stuff must be changed to make it work, fuel lines, EGR and upper radiator hose for sure. The one I took with the photo has the plastic cover in place marked Tuned Port. The plastic manifold may have some advantage with the smoother interior, and maybe slightly larger cross section? The aluminum should be more robust.

post-31580-143137884811_thumb.jpg

Coils are Delco. If the intake manifold tubes (snakes) are black then that is the later plastic plenium. Should be a date code on the block by the front head gasket (#1 cyl).

Original 1991 pleniums were aluminum (silver). Think the change to plastic occured around 1994 but am not sure, our 1992 TranSport has aluminum manifold and no EGR.

Vin C (88-90 Reatta) has S(sequential)P(ort)I(njection) and a log manifold like a 57 Vette FI. Vin L (91 Reatta) had the snakes intake.

I agree that the tuned port was supposed to be from the vin "L" or L27 engine on, but I am almost certain the pic is of an '89 engine, but it wasn't in a Buick. I will try to get out to the yard again this weekend (weather permitting), and check the VIN #. The other two I saw were at another yard, so I don't think this is a fluke, I have found too many of them to be an engine swap. It surprized me too. I will try to get a better top view to see the detail better.