Rambler Gotham Limo Progress

Brad in Wisconsin

This might be the height of rudeness on my part but,,,,Was wondering of late how that early Rambler Gotham Limousine is doing of late it was sold a few years back in SE Wisconsin....Is a restoration progressing or ? Someone had posted a few photos, a while back, of the car at the auction and rarely have I ever felt that I was in the presence of such greatness!! Though come to think of it a few years back at the Jefferson car show there was a early 30's Rolls-Royce that had seen better days.....same feeling

Thanks Brad,

Never heard of that as either a body style, or body builder. I'm not extremely knowledgable on early cars, but I've never seen a tag describe the body style before. Although the car was obviously a car used for "town car" type use, I wonder just what that tag represents.

I remember the car in the previous Posts, and I too would love to know what happened to it.

Guest De Soto Frank

This car was on the Forum back over the summer ?

It had been shod with 1920's disc wheels, which did look "tiny" compared to the scale of the rest of the car...

Regarding the term "Gotham"...once upon a time, metropolitan NYC (mostly Manhattan), was known as "Gotham"...

In everyday parlance in the years between 1890 and 1940 (ish), references to "Gotham" also implied an air of sophistication, wealth, high-society...

If I remember the coachwork on this Rambler, it was on the "spooky -Gothic" side of things, and was probably aimed at the silk-hat & tails set...

That's my stab at it...

One of the things I found interesting about the car was that it bore the Rambler name, even in the Teens...I was under the impression that the name "Rambler" had been replaced by "Jeffrey" after the car had evolved beyond "horseless-carriage" form...?

Guest De Soto Frank

Brad,

Thanks for posting those pics again...that is a rare hunk of early Rambler/Jeffrey...

I hope it did find a good home and is being restored...

cool.gif