Reatta Lowering

Guest spyhunter2k

Guest spyhunter2k

I have no idea, but I'll bring it up when I see him. The way he spoke about it, he's lowered a car using this method so many times that he could do it with his eyes closed. So if there are any possible issues that could arise, I get the feeling that he would have encountered it and figured a way around it.

When he described the process to me, he said what he would be doing is almost the same as what an adjustable strut does. The difference is, where an adjustable strut has a sliding spring seat that is lowered to the desired height and then secured in place with allen bolts, he will be making a one-time adjustment by grinding and re-welding the seat lower.

He did mention that he wanted to start with 2 new struts. I wonder if they make an adjustable strut for the Reatta/92 Eldorado... The cost for adjustables might be the same as for 2 new normal struts + the grind/reweld work. I doubt they do since these aren't the typical cars that people want to lower. Is there any way to find out what other cars use this same strut? One of them may be a more mainstream car that is lowered more often. I'll research now and see if I can find something. If Monroe doesn't have this cross-referencing capability on their website I could probably call them.

I like the basic idea. That would go well with the conversion to strut cartridges mentioned elsewhere, would also get rid of the burned seal question. The lowered seat won't get in the way of the tire, will it? My car isn't home, so it may be a stupid question, but some strut cars have little clearance to the tire.