What is Reatta

gramozeka

Hello everyone. I see this cars here and there and have been curious to find out more about them. First time I saw one I wase what kind of crazy miata is that. And after I spoke with the owner he toled me it was a reatta. After founding out that it had touch scrren in 88 I was like wow lexus and other luxury cars (ex BMW, RR, Audi, Bently) are rip offs :-)

I tryed google but did not find much. Can some one tell me or direct me somewehere to find out more about history of this car.

Thanks

Guest F14CRAZY

I gotta sleep soon, so here's the short stuff. Reatta.net has some figures...

Reatta was built from '88-91, with convertibles available 90-91. Total production was around 22,000.

Originally developed in the early 80s, with performance similar to a Regal Grand National, the concept was shelved for a few years. They were built with few performance compromises EXCEPT the engine...instead of being turbo-ed, they got the 165 hp 3800. Why? Supposedly, to target Buick's regular audience (older, slower people) instead of making a modern muscle car.

Their values are slowly increasing according to Hemmings.

They were hand assembled at the Craft Centre in Lansing.

The touch screen system (formally the Electronic Control Center) was shared with the Riviera of the same era. '90-91 cars DO NOT have the ECC, and have a more conventional vacuum flourescent instrument panel.

They kinda heavy at around 3400 lbs.

They're not really quick off the line, but once moving, they can accelerate pretty well. Max speed is around 124 mph (governed at 125). Quarters are in the 16 second range. They're pretty darn fast and great for high speed road trips.

Gran Touring 4 wheel independent suspension and a complex (and good) 4 wheel antilock brake system are standard. They handle really well for Wrong Wheel Drive vehicles.

I think of them as a "personal luxury-performance car."

Fit and finish were top notch. Exterior got no less than 6 clearcoats.

Wanna buy one? grin.gif

thanks.

Very interesting info.

No buying one is not an option for me.. I am a college student and it looks like reatta is far from what a college student whats to drive. I mean it is expansive to maintain (the cars are old and have their quirks)

Thanks for the info.. I'll go look @ reatta.net

I don't know if you are much of a "reader", but I posted an article from Automobile Quarterly discussing the history of the car. Go to the search feature on this forum and do a search by user name and enter Howard and newer than a year old. Scan for the article that was posted 4/5/05. The whole text is there. It is rather long, so I'm not sure if you would be interested, but if you are, all the questions are answered.

Guest F14CRAZY

I'm a high school student, and you're right, they're are a lot of quirks grin.gif But I've got some financial boost from upper management when expensive things go bad, the message board and manuals for all the info I need to do my own work, and my Explorers for when it's laid-up

My understanding is that it was an engineering decicision to offer only the N/A engine. At the time GM did not have a FWD transmission that could handle the turbo-engine and even with massive use of off-the-shelf equipment, the Reatta did not make its $20k target so a unique drivetrain was out of the question.

Also any weight cutting would have put the car in a different weight class for EPA testing and it could not have piggybacked on the certification of the Riviera.

Guest F14CRAZY

Ah yes, I forgot about the transmission thing again, like with the W-body 3.4L DOHC. Heck that motor probably would have been better than the GN 3.8 if it ever reached it's planned potential of 290 some HP

Have mentioned it before but feel that the Reatta has suffficient power as is. Would not have said that in 1970 when many highways were two-lane and passing ability was really important but the 8.4 second 0-60 I have recorded several times is more than adequate for today.

The other factor is that the very flat torque curve of the 3800 just does not have the feeling of acceleration you get with a peaky engine. You just press down and suddently notice that you are going quite fast. - The car is quick just there is no sensation of speed.

Your college student situation interests me, in that DeKalb is a university town, and Reatta's are plentiful here, as are mechanics who work on them at a good price. Don't overlook a Reatta because you don't think you can afford the upkeep. If I weren't in Dekalb, I probably couldn't handle the upkeep, but here, it is fairly reasonable if you get the best you can to begin with. And the best doesn't seem to be that bad.

Guest F14CRAZY

With the message board I've been able to do quite a few repairs a lot easier (and/or cheaper) than without. Like who would have thought of the camshaft magnet repair. We'd all be screwed without Padgett here

F14,

I like that reference to "upper management"! We have a 17 year old HS senior in our home with a "tuner" habit and not enough work hours per week to get his regular fix. There are times when "upper management" around here must step up with the financial aid to give him a "boost" but that's what "dad's" are for! Our daughter, not yet in HS, has a more expensive habit, (IMHO) horses. Between lessons, feed, vet bills and ferrier expenses I can't wait til she starts driving so I can spend money on big trucks and horse trailers!

This is a very interesting car, I looked over reatta.net excellent website. I will check out other links later next week after the finals :-(. I never though that this will generate quite a bit of a discussion.

For people who was encouraging me to buy the car:

I am not looking to buy one now I have a car which I bought recently. In terms of upkeep I am sure it's not too hard cuz there is a lot of GM off the shelf products in the car. But not having a garage living in a big city and needing the car to commute I can't afford it now, as time will progress and when I will need a project car reatta will be under consideration. Also I remember I have seen a picture a while back of a guy who had like 5 reattas I can only imagine if I had that many it would take my whole block :-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"What is Reatta?"

It's a 15 year old computer surrounded by sheet metal and plastic. wink.gif </div></div>

...and frustration, boxes of receipts, plus enduring-if-not-endearing nicknames....

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>