Ghost starter

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I was cranking and running my girls today and was having problems keeping Dora running. She acted like she was starving for gas. I drained the gas tank and lines and disconnected the line behind the carb and pumped all the gas into a plastic bottle to make sure the pump was working. The gas was light brown. I also unscrewed the stock filter and washed it out, dark brown came out of it. I tried to blow through it and met a lot of resistance. I recall going into one of these once and all it was was a fine mesh wire screen. But this one is one piece so I couldn't get into it to clean it. Question 1 - Should I have been able to blow through it easily if it was clean or is the screen mesh so small it restricts airflow.

I could never get it running for longer than a minute before it would die from lack of gas. But here's the weird thing. After I had given up and started working on Irene, I had left the ignition on in Dora B and all of a sudden she starts clickng and then starts turning over on her own. I thought damn baby you need a little help? so I reached over and gave her some throttle and she cranked and ran for longer than she had all day...probably a couple of minutes. I left the ignition on again and after a minute or so she did it again. This happened 4-5 times until I cut the switch off. So question 2- what is letting this happen, the cranking on her own thing I mean.

Guest sixpack2639

Lamar, this may be a stretch but do you think it could be carbon build up in the soleniod between the contacts? Or possibly the same in the vacuum switch? Just a thought, Carl.

Could just be jealousy! LOL

This sounds like the starter switch. I had a similar problem once when I carelessly assembled my starter switch up side down on the 56. In my case as soon as the key was turned on it would start cranking without stepping on the accelerator. But in your case it takes a few minutes so I agree with sixpack. Carbon inside the starter switch.

Guest imported_Thriller

I'm pretty sure Dora is just pouting after all that time spent with Rita's bricks grin.gif She probably just wants a hug and some more attention. Failing that, you and she could get some counselling smirk.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

Y'all may be right. It was a very humid and drizzily day so that probably played a role in it too. Has no one ever tried blowing through their fuel filter on the back of the Carter 4 barrel. It was pretty hard to get any air to go through. When I drained the tank I only got about a quart of gas out so I'm thinking the filter is stooped up with bottom of the tank sludge. I'll try an in line filter next.

I have had that same problem. Engine starting on its own, modtly in marine salt water envionment. You will find it to be corrosion built up in a switch and corrosion makes the connection needed to jump to start possition. It could be in ignition, starter scoliniod or vacuum switch on carb. Process of elimation will determine which one it is. You must find and fix. It is only going to get worse. Corrosion grows.Also looks like you have crud in gas. fill a bottle with pumped gas and let it settle out and see what you have. Replace and clean all filters. you may have to drain tank before you got it all.

Lamar

Your filter is plugged; change to an inline with the insides visible so that you can see when to change again.

If you disconnect the wires on the vacuum switch tape the wire ends. Those wires are NOT protected by a fuse and if you turn on the ignition with one of the wires grounded you will instantly fry that circuit and all of the others in the same bundle of wires.

Willie

Guest imported_MrEarl

Thanks guys,

I'll be learning the nomenclature of the vacuum switch first I guess. Hopefully cleaning that will take care of the self start problem. Willie, thanks for the warning re the wiring grounding out. Hopefully you weren't speaking from experience.

I'd like to find a new old stock original filter to eventually use on Dora. I'd also install an inline filter soewhere more hidden. Any idea of a source for the original filter.