Found this in a yard this weekend!

Guest Rojo22

As a sucker for lost causes, I wish I could encourage you about this car. Unfortunately, this car has descended into parts-car territory. While parts are readily available, the cost of restoring this car to the most basic of driver-condition would be approximately ten times the value. These Austin Healey Sprites (and their MG Midget twins) were sold in relatively large numbers, and good driver cars are available less than $3000. Checking ebay will give you an idea of the market. As far as your original question goes, the car in question might be worth $100 for the parts and the scrap metal.

RoJo22 posted:

I believe the car is from Florida, and I am in Georgia. I will see what the going rate is for it. I think the ebay thing might be the answer for this one....

(Sorry for the incovenience. I had to delete an Anonymous poster's reply that was above this post.)

Reminder: All signatures with Anonymous will be deleted. Must register and logue-in to make posts.

Peter J.

Rojo,

That is not a 1961 A-H Sprite. That car is a 1968 or 1969 A-H Sprite Mark IV, or a 1970 <span style="font-style: italic">Austin</span> Sprite. (The contract with Donald Healey expired and the second name was dropped in the car's final year.) The side marker lights are a dead giveaway, but so are the door handles indicating wind-up windows.

Dave

I am certainly no expert on these, but the badging on the front was an Austin Healy Badge, and the badging indicated a Sprite. The tail lights if like the American standard, had a 61 year designation on it. If the car is a mongrel mash of stuff, that would have a lot to do with it. I did not get a serial number on it, so I cannot give you specifics.

The car is probably not a mongrel at all. It certainly doesn't appear to be.

The SAE number on the taillight (and all other lenses from the original manufacturer) indicates the model year of approval. For most U.S. cars from 55 through 76 or 80 it was rare that a lens was reused from one year to the other, so many people make the mistake of "ID"ing cars by the taillight. (Edsel guys can tell stories of 1959's that were advertised as 1958's based on the taillight date, which was originally the 1958 Lincoln lens.)

British cars rarely changed lens design, often using the same lens for decades and sharing them among many makes. The Lucas conical amber parking light lens may be on more different cars than are now made in the U.K., and it's lasted for 40-50 years. The Sprite taillight first appeared in 1961. MG Midgets made in 1979 still used that lens, which still read "SAE 61". smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Dave , I believe you are right - it's a 1970 Austin Sprite. I used to appraise classic cars and strong case for making this a parts car is the rust between the drivers door and the front fender. Open that spot up and you'll meet Pandora face to face! Not worth more than $250 . [ no charge for advice grin.gifgrin.gif]

..........Steve