Inline 8 hydraulic valve adjustment

Aaron65

Now that the '53s put away for the winter, what's the deal with the valves on these things? If I adjust them per the shop manual, they're held open. It seems like there's a 16th of a turn between noisy and too tight. I've got it where it's quiet and running well...they just seem touchier than I'm used to on other cars with adjustable valvetrains. Any insight, comments, etc?

Aaron

Hydraulic lifters have NO clearance. They should be adjusted so the push rod is in direct contact always. I am not sure what the book says for your particular application, but most hydraulic lifters are set by tightening the rocker until they make contact,and then going 1/2 to 3/4 turn. If the lifters are functioning properly, they will bleed down and never rattle. My 263 has not had the valves adjusted for 40,000 miles, and they are still quiet

Oh, I should have been more clear...I had to pull the head to replace all the valves, and I had to reset them. They're all quiet but one (and that one is a faint tap which could be a weak lifter). I tighten them to the point where I feel resistance at the screw...if I go any farther, it pushes some valves open...I was wondering if I was doing something wrong...

Are you sure the engine has hydraulic lifters? In my 40-56s I have a 53's engine and it has no hydraulic lifters. I learned that only the 263 ci engines with auto trans were delivered with hydraulic lifters and a thin metal head gasket (to increase compression).

Jan

It has hydraulic lifters. I had them out when I redid the head and replaced two with pitted bases. I also cleaned them out. Dynaflow Specials had hydraulics and syncromesh Specials had solids, at least that's according to my sales and service literature.