Give me a clue!!!! PLEASE.

Guest PackardV8

Guest imported_PackardV8

I really like the XJS and V12's. BUT, i've noticed that the engine parts even COMPLETE engines are on eBay cheaper than 50's studebaker parts. What gives????????? Maybe we should start rebuilding/restoring these engines????

I've got a v12 comming in soon. I'm new to Jag. Please advise. - Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the reason there are so many inexpensive Jag motor parts around is because a lot of them were ripped out of the cars at the slightest bit of trouble [ problems are there but overblown in my estimation ] and a V8 Chevy put in it's place. My first car was an E-type and later I had an Aston DB 6 , both of which were twincam 6's . Still very reliable I might add as long as you don't treat it like American iron. { Change oil often. etc. }

Just my $0.03 worth . .....Steve

I will never understand how anyone could see the appeal of a Jaguar and then find the engine to be a limiting factor. It's like only finding Angelina Jolie appealing from the neck up. crazy.gifmad.gif

My favorite part is when these clowns show up at their local "British Car Day" and wonder why no one's fascinated by their brutal surgery. Sticking a cheap car's engine into something that used to do 150 mph out of the showroom still seems logical to a new group every year, until they leave in a huff about 1 hour into the show. smirk.gif

My Two Cents...

I suppose we Americans don't invest the time to really learn how the Brits. make things tick, nor do we always see the same picture our British brothers do. I admire those of us who do. I guess I tolerate those who select the right car then do the 350 chev. thing. If its a junker car being put back on the road with an affordable US engine, good for everyone. I also like the sound of a good running and beefed up 350 or big block, however, the hair stands up when I hear the growl of a nice tuned straight 6 whether it be in a Jag., A-H, Bentley, Alvis etc. Maybe this forum can help us all appreciate what brings us here in the first place, an interest in British iron, and share what we know with each other.

Al

My sentiments exactly !!! What does it for me is a 4 liter Aston engine , the first time I heard and saw one in the movie Goldfinger [when I was 10] - it sounds like a high quality Singer sewing machine running fast....A very fine machieeny type sound if anyone can understand what I'm getting at ! Kinda hard to explain.

Steve