What is the shelf life for Automatic Transmission Fluid?

Guest jmarsicano

Guest imported_jmarsicano

Can anyone tell me the shelf life for a seal container of automatic transmission fluid? I have a brand new 5 gallon container of fluid that is approaching 10 years old. It was never opened and I was wondering if its still good?

Or should I use it for fake blood for this saturdays halloween party?

Joe

A 1999 90,000+ mile camaro that is my daily commuter and my parts truck.

One night I brought home 8 wheels, 7 tires and a front axle home in the camaro.

Diz-

I really didn't want to go to the party anyway. Its the last ARDC race of the year. O well, girls... alcohol...

Guest imported_PackardV8

i'm guessing probably one hundred years or longer. It depends on the container too. I have some Dexron II probably 30 years old that i've used recently in the Packard and a 73 chevy. Probably wouldn't put it my 89 Caprice tho. I had some tractor diff/hydraulic oil in a 5 gal plastic bucket with a pop up rubber or neoprene spout that was some 12 -15 years old but when i opened it last year the spout had deteriorated and fallen down into the oil. That was a type of mineral oil however and i did not use it due to the contamination of the rotted spout. Open the container and pour it out into a larger clean container and inspect it. If it looks ok it should be ok.