What factors influence car shipping rates?

Guest Rob1960

Guest Rob1960

Can someone explain why there is such a large difference in price quotes to haul a non running vintage car from the mid west to mid atlantic region? To those of you who've had personal experience with having a car shipped, what would you consider a reasonable price range. confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

well first off the car doesnt run, therefore its a pin in the butt to load. Secondly, location of the vehicle, semi's cant go everywhere and neither can duallys with 2-car haulers. Third, Fuel costcost, it makes up most of the haulers charges these days as most use deisel and that is avg $3.15 gallon. Fourth, the hauler will want some $ for his time, sleep in a fair hotel and possibly eat at some point, so add on a few hundered to the fuel cost. So all in all, if you go with a large ommercial operation or a private hauler you're going to pay a lot no matter what. 99% of the time large companies like DAS and Reliable wont even bother with non-runners. Good luck with your project!

as for most having a winch, I'd say no, since over half the haulers run semi's. you cant turn a semi around in a residential Los Angeles area to go pull a car from some guys garage that is buried 3 cars deep and unassembled. I can, however. cool.gif But I'd also charge $2000 or more to do so. Assembly is extra.

Non-running is a big issue for the bigger haulers because they are swapping cars in and out as they cross the country. The spot your car starts in at the begining of the trip is not going to be the spot it ends up in at the end (in a big trailer). Covered vs. outside makes a significant difference too.

A.J.