Help! Authenticity

To what extent do antique auto restorers concern themselves with authenticity? Is it considered acceptable to use a new part in the restoration of an antique or vintage car? Does a restoration done with "new" parts reduce the value of an antique car? Is salvage acceptable? What if original parts are rare or hard to come by? To what degree does economics contribute to this issue? For example, I imagine it is quite expensive to have cutom reproduction parts made. Thanks for any help or referrals (people, books, or articles) you can give me.<P>

Boy, this is a topic that can go on and on. smile.gif<P>For AACA judging it does not matters if the part is a modern reproduction or if it is original. As long as it is a "duplicate" of original it is acceptable. I put quotes about duplicate because as long as it can not be distinguished from an original without disassembly the judges aren't going to know.<P>Each club has its own set of standards. But if the car looks like it is put together with original parts, there is no way a judge is going to be able to justify deductions.<P>There are some who insist on either original or "New Old Stock" (NOS) for all parts. NOS are original manufacturer parts that have never been used. (As opposed to "new old replacement stock (NORS) which are aftermarket (think Pep Boys) parts manufactured for the car when it was new.)<P>Those who are into touring with the car rather than show judging are often more accepting of small modifications to keep the car running.<P>Topping it off, different cars have different levels of followings. For your Model T, Model A, early V-8 Fords, etc., there is a great amount of documentation about how the factory built the car. There are also many manufacturers putting out parts that are indistinquishable from the original. For other makes of cars there is often no information about what is was like as delivered from the factory. On these cars, the best current research of the restorer may be found to be in error a few years down the line.<P>So the answer is: It depends. Which restorer? Which club? Which make and model car?

In response to those who answered my query, I am a graduate student in historic preservation. I am writing my master's thesis on the Lustron house, an all-steel porecelain enameled prefab house manufactured according to auto assembly line techniques and marketed through a dealer network (1947-1950). The Lustron house (only 2,500 were manufactured before the company went bust) is gaining recognition for its post-war historic significance. I am arguing for the use of salvage parts in retaining authenticity (since the maker is out of business it it impossible to get parts otherwise). The closet corollary I can think of is antique and vintage cars (you can see the relationship between the Lustron and cars; auto designers helped design it!). I wanted to know how this issue is viewed among the antique auto community. Can anyone provide the names of premier auto restorers and/or museums? Thanks for all your help.

Thanx for the more detailed explanation of your research. There are more similarities to the problem than you may have imagined, and the answer depends on the intended use. Some of us restore the cars only with the intention of showing them at meets and that calls for a high degree of authentic restoration. However, we do have a requirement in AACA that the vehicle be operational. In some cases where vehicles were low production and some parts are so unique they are impossible to find, they must be reproduced and operational. If they are reproduced exactly with form, fit, and function, they are acceptable for judging. <P>Some of us spend years hunting for rather obscure parts to make our vehicles authentic. Sometimes we are successful. But sometimes we must create a reproduction. It's that or lose a wonderful vehicle to the scrap pile.<P>In other cases we restore the cars for what they were originally intended - to drive. In that case we take some latitude on occasion and may use a replacement part which works better if it is needed to keep the car on the road.<P>Several of the respondents to your questions are high quality restoration experts and should help your research. Be wary of using museum restoration techniques and standards until you have studied their philosophy. Some of the best really do not go the whole way for restoration - others do.