55 Buick Keys

tnuke

I am new to the board and just picked up my first restoration project. I found what I think to be the right project for me. A 55 Special 4 door sedan (Texas car, now relocated to Illinois)... Unfortunately no keys. I was curious if anyone knew exactly how many different keys came with the car and what they opened. I have currently pulled the key cylinder out of the passenger door and wanted to see if I should pull any others prior to my trip to the locksmith to make sure to have a full set.

Thanks!

Guest imported_MrEarl

Most of my 54's keys fit everything but I had one Century , supposedly original, that the ignition key was different. I have read though that 54 was the first year that one key fit all. Interesting subject.

Buick & Chevy used one key for everything, pontiac, olds, & cadillac had two keys, one for ignition, & doors, the other for trunk & glove box. The Buick & Chevy key was the octagonal key and the olds, pontiac & Cadillac used the octagonal key for the doors & ignition and the curved key for the trunk & glove box. If a car has any variation of this, then locks have been changed at some point.

Hope this helps.