Ashtrays and Trunks?

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

When judging a car, how "deep" are the judges expected to go?

By this, I mean would/should they look INSIDE an ashtray or glove compartment? If so, would a glove compartment be expected to be empty except for owners manual and warranty books?

How about when they look in the trunk: if a car has a (correct) spare tire cover, would they lift it or remove it to inspect the actual tire and/or wheel?

On a convertible, if the boot is expected to be stored in the trunk, in a factory plastic pouch, would/should the judges remove the boot from the pouch to inspect it?

You get the idea. How many "layers" down should an owner expect the judges to go?

I'm sure the judges will answer, but in my experiance a judge won't even touch your car without asking first. Except for one show where I came back to my car to find the judge sitting in it trying to put the top down to see if it worked. I all but grabbed him by the neck and pulled him out of the car. BTW, it was a non AACA show........Bob.

The judges will not open your ashtray or your glove box. However, if you should leave either open then it is fair game should the judge openly see dirt, residue, etc. The judges will ask you to open your trunk. They will not lift up any authentic accessory that is in its proper place. They will however move aside any magazines, books, etc as these items tend to coincidently lay over just where the biggest flaw is. It is best to remove any non factory authorized items prior to the judging. You can put them back once the judging has been completed. I hope this helps you some. smirk.gif

Guest 70 Electra

Thanks for the responses. A few followup questions:

If the ashtray insides are particularly nice and you want to show-off it off cool.gif, is it considered permissible to leave it open? or is this considered "sloppy" presentation?

How about that top boot? I've heard of guys loosing points for not having the plastic storage bag. confused.gif

If boot came in a plastic storage bag, should it be presented that way? (Seems a shame, as this would allow flawed and non-authentic boots to be utilized without penalty. shocked.gif) What about leaving the boot OUT of bag, and having the bag next to it?

Guest my3buicks

Greg, Many people attach their boot and then flip it neatly into the well, I think this or folding it neatly and laying it on the boot bag in the trunk would be best. Personally I wouldn't open ashtray and glovebox as this breaks the continuity and beauty of your dash/interior and closed would make for a more finished looking presentation. I figure when the time comes for me to show the Centurion for national award presentation I will put the hard parade boot under the rear of the car on a blanket as it takes up so much of the trunk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the ashtray insides are particularly nice and you want to show-off it off , is it considered permissible to leave it open? or is this considered "sloppy" presentation? </div></div>

For judging I really don't think it would make a differance appearance wise but, by having them open you now subject yourself to more possible point deductions. (If it can be seen it can be judged) I'd personly leave them close until the car is judged. Then, open them if you want.

As for the top boot, I'm not much help there. I don't normaly do interiors which would be the soft tops related items.