WTB - Exhaust Manifold(s) for 60 Electra 401

Smartin

The passenger side exh manifold of this car just fell apart in my hand about a half hour ago. The forward-most ear broke off as I was wrestling with that bolt. I was unsuccessful in the bolt removal, too.

If anyone has the pass side OR a pair of manifolds, please let me know. I need them asap.

Thanks!!

Guest John Chapman

Adam,

Just a reminder... be sure to observe the torque specs for the manifold bolts. That's the prime cause of the ears breaking off on the Nailhead and 215/300/340 engines. This is one place where tighter-is-better shade tree guessing will get you into mischief.

Also, be sure the motor mounts are good. As they begin to fail, they allow the motor to drop, placing stess on the manifolds.

Cheers,

JMC

Guest John Chapman

That is correct for the small motors, although I've not seen many in driven service that haven't had gaskets installed. If you're machining both surfaces, you should be able to omit the gaskets.

The Nailhead I'm not as sure about... need an expert to answer that one.

JMC

Adam,

I have also heard that these engines didn't come with exhaust gaskets. However, even with the machining done on my 55 I still needed to put the gaskets in. I would think that it would be better to have them in and (perhaps) lose some of the originality than have exhaust leaks causing at the very least, noise. Plus my 401 seems to be hotter under the hood than my 55 nailhead anyway thus getting the exhaust out of the engine compartment will kinda keep things cooler. You could also paint them green so the white gasket isn't as obvious.

Just my opinion of course.

Mike