Guest Philo

Ahhh, yet another Pontiac Fan joins in! Glad to have you onboard. Are you an AACA member?

Terry

No, but I do belong to a local club - TTVCC (Twin Tiers Vintage Car Club). I will be taking a look at the AACA, to see if my auto is actually considered an antique. As of today I know very little about AACA and it's programs etc. Thanks for the welcome.

It looks like Dansville NY is the closest chapter to my home - about an hour away.

In AACA it is 25 years old or older. 2005-25=1980 I say your '79 qualifies. Welcome to the fourm.

In AACA we have the National meets (there is a link on the home page for judging which will get you to where you can download the judging manual so you have an idea as what the judges look at at the national events) and tours. These are events that you have to pre-register for and there will be a paper in the bi-monthly Antique Automobile Magazine (which is worth the membership price)which you mark of which events you are planning on going to and send in. Then the infromation will sent to you with the details.

Looks like you have already found a region nearby. The region car shows don't nesscaraily use the same judging procdeure as at a national meet. it's up to the region how they want to run their show. Most of these shows you don't have to pre-register but it is a good idea to make sure if you need to. I do know the North Carolina Region Spring and Fall meets are pre-registered only.

Come on and join us for the fun! cool.gif

I live southwest of Elmira, in Pine City. I don't like the term 'upstate' but everyone uses it around here. I transplanted from near Pittsburg to this area (Watkins Glen)in 1958, and except for a stretch in the service have lived in this area all that time.

Guest Debby Soucia

HI!

We are from "upstate NY" too.

We live by Oneonta, NY about 2 hours from you!

We have a chapter here to but its to far for you to join.

Hope to see you at a show some where.

We have mostly Chryslers.

Hi back smile.gif

I have been to Oneonta several times. In 2000, I retired from the big C that has/had? a plant there. And when I go to points east, we almost always stop there for lunch because of it's location.

I have had my TA for about six years, and it is a work in progress. I wanted something I could drive and enjoy while getting it back to running and looking good. I would never attempt a judged show, since I refer to the car as 'the old warrior', but I want it to look as good as I can afford, while still being a 'driver'. Although I missed this year because of family matters, the TTVCC has a show every year at the War Plane Museum at Big Flats that is not judged, and I go to 'unofficial local shows' (the ones in the parking lots of KMart, Walmart etc) mostly to talk with others and look at what people are doing with their cars. The Walmart in Big Flats has about 50 and once in a while 100+ vehicles every saturday night.

The TTVCC club has been around for twenty five years or so, and was originally set up for the "Model T" era cars. They have accepted newer cars out of necessity I think, but at times I am not sure they are interested in newer types of autos. I help with setups for shows and volunteered for extra work ("Call me if I can help" and "Is there anything I can do to help?") but so far no calls.

Debby, I went to college in Delhi. A year after graduating, I moved south. Been to and through Oneonta enough times.

Philo, I take it you moved into the area? Upstate is used to let everyone now we're NOT from the NYC area. I've had people ask me where I'm from and if I say NY, they'll start yapping about NYC. NYC was at least a 5-1/2 hour drive from home.

<span style="font-weight: bold">HOW RIGHT YOU ARE DAVID!!!</span> If they ever put it up to a vote to separate the city from the rest of the state, I'd vote yes. Over the years it has seemed that most of the people who run the state come out of the city, they get elected mainly from the people from the city, and most of the taxes of the entire state go to the city, while the rest of the state sees very little coming from Albany.

When you tell people that you're from New York, everyone thinks of New York City. When we were in Colorado for the AGNM, a lot of people thought of us as being from the city, and were quite surprised when they learned that the Northglenn area is significantly larger than the area where my dad and I live (about 3,500 people). Actually, before we went to Colorado, I thought that the entire state was nothing but mountains, and really didn't see hardly any mountains until we got to Northglenn.

Last year when the AGNM came to Buffalo, I remember how several people were quite surprised as to how much different upstate New York really is from downstate. I think a lot of people believe that the entire state is one big city, and really find it quite different.

...by the way, if you were back home, you could go to Lyons and get right on Route 14 and it'll take you through Pine City. They use to have a racing equipment store down there that I have been to a couple of times.

When people come to my area and they're looking to find the Subway, they're looking to find something to eat. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Philo: When you look at the website for the Chemung Region, it reflects where the Region President lives, not where the Region is actually located. If you were the president of the Chemung Region, the address listed on the web would then be Pine City, NY. For where you live, Chemung Region would be the closest for you, but that wouldn't mean that you'd be having your meetings and activities in Dansville.

Pat, I didn't use 14 very much. 21 was our main north south route. Going to Geneva, we'd take 21 south and 20 east. When we'd head for PA or NC it was 21 to North Cohocton, 371 into Cohocton, 390 to Painted Post and 15 into PA. If head to NC, stayed on it to Culpepper, VA and pick up 29 to Danville, VA. Then we take some short cuts. 29 takes you into Greensboro, NC.

Sorry, I missed what you were trying to tell me. I'm kind of zoned out right now. Been surviving the past week on about 3-4 hrs sleep each night. I'm beat....

I was planning on trying to attend. Was going to visit a high school classmate but my plans got changed. I was looking at bringing the Chevy II and entering it plus my dually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Philo, I take it you moved into the area? Upstate is used to let everyone now we're NOT from the NYC area. I've had people ask me where I'm from and if I say NY, they'll start yapping about NYC. NYC was at least a 5-1/2 hour drive from home. </div></div>

Yes, I moved here in '58 from Beaver Falls, PA, NW of Pittsburgh. (Yes, Joe Namath's school, and yes, I was there when he was).

When I was in the service, I was talking about our garden and one of the guys said "Where do you plant your garden, in the cracks of the concrete?".

I reason I don't like to use the term "upstate" is because I think of upstate being the Albany area. I would consider Pine City as mid-western NY. I think they should call all of NY state west of 95 or maybe 87 'WNY'.