Mystery Car ID Sought

gwells

Here's an odd amalgam, most probably a home built using part of a Willys Aero. Since the picture was likely taken at a west coast car show (see background and lettering on car hauler), I wanted to post the picture here to see if anyone has any info about this particular vehicle.

Guest 1964 225 Roadster

It has some aspects in common with the limited (435 units) Kaiser Darrin roadster of 1954, particularly the sliding doors. But the "humped" fins are wrong, and the continental kit wouldn't be there. Interesting lookng car.

I did email the picture to my old friend Richard M. Langworth, author of the definitive history of Kaiser-Frazer, "The Last Onslaught on Detroit", and here's his reply:

"The car looks like a backyard barbecue using stern quarters of an Aero

Willys. The sliding door is Darrin-inspired, I guess, but not Darrin. He

only produced one other sliding door car after the Kaiser, and that was a

clay model for Packard."

Best guess so far is that it is a home-brew one-off, but since that pic was clearly taken at a car show or meet, I was hoping to get more definitive info from someone who knows its provenance.

I now know that the picture was sourced from an online gallery of images taken at the 2005 Pacific Northwest Historics vintage auto races, an event held on July 1-3 a few weeks ago.

West, have you forgotten me already, even though you sponsored my AACA membership last year? That's the way it always seem to work: once a guy makes it into the executive suite, he forgets the poor working stiffs down on the shop floor . . . 8-)

Greg,

Your eyes seem to have grown closer together!! or have you just gone cross-eyed? 8=)

In any event... Kaiser had a patent on that sliding door, so I agree with King Richard in that this is some sort of BBQ sandwich. Actually, it looks better than the K-D (but then... most things do IMHO.)

Since the photo is that recent you might want to call the number listed on the rollback truck and see if they can put you in contact with the owner of the car.

It looks like it says Red RAM Special with a heart painted under it on the back of the car.

It sure will be interesting to find out what, or what all, that car is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's an odd amalgam, most probably a home built using part of a Willys Aero. Since the picture was likely taken at a west coast car show (see background and lettering on car hauler), I wanted to post the picture here to see if anyone has any info about this particular vehicle. </div></div>

Yep, home-brew sports car, worked up from at least the rear end of a Willys Aero. Don't know, but it might have front clip from a Bug-Eye AH Sprite perhaps, which would explain the ability to make the doors slide inside the front fenders, ala Kaiser-Darrin.

Looks to be something built for SCCA racing in perhaps the early 60's.

Art

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like it says Red RAM Special with a heart painted under it on the back of the car.

It sure will be interesting to find out what, or what all, that car is. </div></div>

"Red Ram" was the trade name used for Dodge's first V8's from 1953 to 1956. They were hemi-head motors that ranged from 241 cu.in. (140 hp) in 1953 to the 315 cu.in. (218 hp) Super Red Ram of 1956.