3800 SeriesII Supercharger + aftercooler?

I have seen thse installed on supercharged cars on Spike TV's <span style="font-style: italic">Horsepower Television</span> and I was wondering if anyone ever installed one on the ir Buick and if they noticed/dynoed any results in performance.

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respects, this might not be the best place to pose that question. There are TONS of posts regarding "upgraded" Buick 3800 V-6s on several other websites. ZZPerformance and 3800Performance are just the tip of the iceberg! Most of the performance items are listed for the Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles, but there's also a LOT of information at Regal GS.org. Several magazine build-ups too, typically on the Pontiac side of things or in GMHighTechPerformance magazine.

Regarding an "aftercooler", those typically are not used in automotive functions. As I understand it, they are mainly "heavy truck/industrial" items, where a turbo and intercooler supply the highly packed induction charge, which builds more heat for the turbo to work better and the "aftercooler" cools the exhaust so that it is not quite so hot upon exit. In such a OTR truck or industrial application, installation space is not nearly as much of an issue as it would be in a modern car vehicle (full size trucks might be a little easier).

The "intercooler" is used to cool the intake charge before it enters the combustion chamber. Compressed gasses are "hot", hence the need to cool them back down before the mixture is fired in the combustion chamber. Is easier to plumb with a turbo rather than an engine-mounted supercharger, typically.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I just asked about the aftercooler because one of the hosts of <span style="font-style: italic">Horse Power TV</span> has a supercharged Mustang and they installed one and said it gave better performance. I know of intercoolers for turbos but I was not familar with aftercoolers on sportscars.

I might just keep the 3800SeriesI engine and turbocharge it. Seems to be easier.

The sites you listed were perfect for the SeriesII engine...that I don't have. Anyone who reads this and has a SeriesII engine would do well to visit the sites listed above.

I feel a bit <span style="font-style: italic">duuuuh</span> now because I found this site:

http://www.turbobuicks.com/

that is perfect for my needs. I guess I will keep the 1991 engine and turbocharge it.

In one of the magazines I bought recently (possibly one of the Pontiac enthusiast magazines), there is a company that sells a complete kit to turbocharge existing 3800 Series II V-6s in the Regal/Grand Prix/early Intrigue vehicles. They even have one to replace the factory supercharger, in the case the supercharger has or is failing. About an extra 100 horsepower is claimed. No mention of complimentary transaxle changes, though. Looks like a pretty "turn key" deal, from the looks of it.

With that much extra horsepower capability, don't forget to upgrade the brakes and suspension along with it. It's one thing to go fast, but another thing to go fast and STOP and turn corners too. Chassis upgrades plus power upgrades can make those some reasonably priced "fun" sedans.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Engine would go into a RWD Reatta shocked.gif

I've bought the magazine that has the GM prototype and I'm researching into it more. Other car's have been made FR and still street legal...though it is rare. And, they're rarity often leads people to think that making an FF car FR is impossible. Doing so might in fact be outside of my budget, but I'm damn sure going to do my best to find out.

As for the <span style="font-style: italic">WHOA! Factor</span>, I plan on swapping as much from a C4 Vette that I can.

In doing a vehicle "change" of the magnitude you mention, you might check with your state DMV to investigate their different types of vehicle classifications that your finished vehicle might fit into (i.e., street rod/street machine, kit car, home built) AND how it would all interface with their safety/emissions regulations for licensing and yearly inspections. Various states have different "standards" which could affect just how "full race" a street legal vehicle might be, or vice versa.

Year of the engine can be important too, as that would determine emissions standards the vehicle would have to meet--for street-driven vehicles. Again, this issue can vary from state to state, but if the engine can be verified as "newer than the year of manufacture of the vehicle", then it will need to have all applicable emissions hardware for that particular year of vehicle. Other states, as long as what comes out the tailpipe matches the year of the vehicle, might not get that picky--but if things don't "match", then they can raise the hood and make their "laundry list" of "Get Fixed" items (if you want to drive the vehicle on the street in THEIR state--legally).

Several years ago, I ran across a Dodge 600 Convertible (K-car origin) that had a modified 440 under the hood and was rwd. Built pretty much like a race car, tube chassis, wheel tubs, and all AND looked basically stock with the hood down. Lots of engineering went into that project and it showed. It was licensed, but I don't recall in what state, but most probably in the IN or OH areas.

Best of luck in your project!

NTX5467

• 2 months later...