Safety of wood wheels

jrbartlett

How safe are 80-year-old wood spoke wheels that appear to be undamaged, straight and tight? And for that matter, how safe are these wheels with new spokes? I'm told that wood wheels are stronger than wire wheels, but I would think there's a lot of potential for hidden damage lurking in those wood spokes. What has your experience been?

My experience has been 478,000 miles on a 6-30 Pontiac. There is a check in the wood of one rear spoke. It has been there since 1934. I drive the car daily (approx 1000 miles a month). About half city and half highway. I have never had a single problem with my wheels. I revarnish them about every six or eight years and just keep on driving. They do not and have never squeeked or creaked. Of courrse they are "Jaxon" wheels and were on the road every summer for the first 29 years and year round for the last 46 years. I have read that pound for pound they are stronger than steel???

Guest stude8

I think this gentleman is talking about a BIG BLOCK Locomobile 500+ CID? The Mother Of All Torque engines?? Stude8

Guest imported_Joe Kieliszek

Hi,

I plan on re-using the 94 year old wheels of my Buick as they are

with just paint stripping/refinish. The center hubs will be sleeved

to accept Timken bearings and CR seals as some of the old ball

bearing cages were spinning inside of the wheel hubs. The wheel

spindles will also have to be turned down slightly to accept the

smaller I.D.'s of the tapered bearing cones.

Thanks,

Joe Kieliszek grin.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

I would suggest that the safety of wooden artillery wheels with NEW spokes would be entirely dependent on the skill and care of the wheelwright that fits them...

There is also a firm opinion amongst those who work with wood that the wood from old-growth trees such as were harvested when these wheels were in vogue was more dense and stronger than wood from the same species, grown today.

If that theory is true, then your original spokes, if straight and tight should be "better than new"...

What kind of shape are the metal parts of the wheel in (including the through-bolts of the hub) ?

I believe Bill Boudway was working on the wooden wheels of his Packard Twin-Six recently ?

Guest De Soto Frank

Well, rhetorically speaking, there's lots of folks who tour on original artillery wheels...

You probably have to take them on a case-by-case basis...if the spokes on a prospective car look like driftwood, you'd better make friends with an Amish wheelwright...

Many cars with artillery wheels originally had the spokes painted. Some owners like to strip the paint and show off the beauty of the natural wood...one advantage to this is that you can see the wood itself.

Freshly painted spokes might be hiding something (like bondo or other filler).

Other red-flags would be creaking wheels while the car is driven or wheels the "wobble"...look for a tell-tale signs of red rust-dust around the felloe and the hub that might indicate that the assembly is loose and "working"...

Wooden artillery wheels did not disappear from cars completely until about 1933, so they must've had some merit.

And they were used on lots of early racing cars...

Their disadvantages from a manufacturing standpoint would be: weight (heavier than a wire or steel wheel), expense to manufacture, complexity and time to assemble, durability on the average road-car, maintenance (periodic tightening, cleaning, painting/oiling, etc).

I wouldn't be surprised that it's possible to shatter wheel by hitting a bad pot-hole or similar road hazard, but you'd probably avoid hitting anything bad enough to harm the wheel...

The Horseless Carriage Club site might offer some response too...

Good luck !