1965 Wildcat Information

I'm starting to gather information on '65 Wildcats for an upcoming purchase. Any suggestions on where to get detailed production data? (i.e. how many convertibles with A/C were produced?) I also would like to hear from current owners about what you like/dislike about your cars.

By the way the reason for the purchase is I was born in '64. My family's '65 Wildcat was the first car I remember and was always my father?s favorite (there were ten years of Buicks before and thirty after, but he always talked about his '65). Since I'm planning a middle-age crisis, I thought a nice Buick was the way to go.

Thanks Ted,

I?ve seen your red Wildcats on the Buickstreet website. ? very nice The green super Wildcat it quite the car. If I'm reading the info correct only 107 of the dual carb convertibles were made? You post did bring up another question, were the consoles only available on the Deluxe and not the Custom?

Ok, I have my materials in front of me-(love this stuff=geek)

Deluxe convertibles coud have the "ironing board" console with bucket seats and column shifter.

Custom Convertibles could have the "ironing board" consolette with bucket seats and column shifter.

Custom convertibles with Bucket seats could have the long console with shifter in it.

My Deluxe 4-speed has buckets and "ironing board" consolette.

6467 Deluxe converts with air- 712 out of 4616

6667 Custom convertibles with air- 1049 out of 4398.

grin.gif Ted

Hi Ted and other '65 geeks! I own three as you can see from my post. None are the rare type 4spds, etc. Just wanted to relay this story which is real. Years ago here in KCMO I looked at a '65 Wildcat sport coupe, which I believe was a 46437. It had the LX motor, 2-4's, black bench seat white outside and black vinyl top. Basically same combo as my '65 Riv GS. They would have made a great pair but the Wildcat needed lotsa work. I drove it a short distance but refused to buy it. The man was somewhere from southern MO and came to KC to show it to 2-3 prospective buyers. I was no.1 because I called him first. He then sold it to number 2 who re-sold it 2-3 years later. Where it went from there I don't know but I think out of town because I believe I saw it in Hemmings for sale yet again. Now that I look at your '65 spreadsheet link from this thread I see I let one go I shouldn't have. Hindsight is 20-20! '65-ingly yours, Steve

Thanks for the story Steve. If it makes you feel better I can share the opposite story. About four years ago I looked at a white convertible in Dixon, IL. The car looked great from 50 feet but as you got close you could see the bondo. Even the molding were screwed in form the outside. The rust had actually eaten through the frame behind the driver side wheel. Needless to say, I passed. I just saw the same car on e-bay, the seller described it as a driver in excellent shape. I think the bidding was around $3,600.

Actually, from a "fun to drive" standpoint, is the twin four barrel significantly different then the 465 (425CID)? Maybe the next question, is the 465 that different then the 425 (401CID)?

Have driven many miles with my 401 (Wildcat 445) Riviera and now a few miles on the Super Wildcat convertible. They both feel powerful and will roast tires. What I would like to do in the future is use 1 car and try the different intakes on it.

Mark, the Wildcat 465 is the 425 ci engine, 465 is supposed to be the torque. The Super Wildcat is a 425 ci as well, torque rating is 465 still but since it has 2 carbs its SUPER! I look forward to answering the question on how the WIldcat 465 responds compared to the Wildcat 445. I do not have my 465 running-yet wink.gif

Steve, I remember your car from 2003. Very Nice!

Ted

The Chrysler 300 Club I belong to publishes those numbers. I can ask how they get the information. I know they keep track of member's S/N. I'm assuming they also have the Chrysler begin and end S/N's. Seems like it could be an interesting project. I was hoping to get more input on how other Wildcat owners like their cars. Do you think a post in the BCA ? Me and My Buicks would get more responses?