Brake Upgrade for 15" Rims *Does not fit*

Bob

Same theory as the 12" Aurora brakes with 16" and bigger wheels. Brakes from a 97-04 Grand Prix have what looks to be the same calipers, smaller mounting brackets and 11" rotors and fit in the Reatta 15" wheel.

Here's a pic, just put together temporary with junkyard parts before going to 12" brakes, which are awesome.

Guest EDBSO

Stock, I believe are 10.25" going to 11" and still fitting under the stock rims would appear to be a huge benefit.

Do the stock Grand Prix calipers require that the Reatta spindles be drilled out? Or are they a simply bolt on?

Good work, EDBSO

They need to be drilled out. They appear to be identical brakes as the Aurora, but the brackets and rotors are smaller. Uses the same bolts and appears to be same caliper as the Aurora.

Guest EDBSO

OK thanks, another question.

Would I use the G P or Aurora calipers or ar they both the same in your opinion?

You photographed the G P calipers right?

I used what the junk yard told me was off a 99 Olds Intrigue with heavy duty brakes. Which are the same as the Aurora. But they were only 11" so it must of been off the light duty. I cross referenced the light duty to the grand prix as being the same parts.

It does appear that the Aurora and Grand Prix caliper part numbers are different but I cannot see the difference. Brake pads are different numbers also but the only difference I noticed is the Aurora had more brake pad area, I was able to interchange the pads between both calipers. So to be on the safe side I'd maybe recomend the Grand Prix/Intrigue parts, and also the brackets are different and you need the grand prix brakets for sure anyways.

Should be still a nice upgrade to 11" as I'm sure the caliper is a huge improvement alone. With the 12" setup I am able to lock up the tires and kick in the ABS wink.gif

Stops so good need new struts to stop the bumper from diving and about smacking the ground.. lol

Guest EDBSO

0699.gif

Performance Frictions lists this pad for all the following ...

1997-2002 BUICK- Century- all

2000-2002 BUICK- LeSabre- all

1997-2002 BUICK- Park Av- all including

1997-2002 BUICK- Regal- all

1997-2000 BUICK- Riviera- all

2001-2002 BUICK- Rondezvous-SUV- all

1997-2001 CADILLAC- DeVille- FWD

1997-2001 CADILLAC- ElDorado- all

1997-1997 CADILLAC- Seville- all

2000-2002 CHEVROLET CARS- Impala- all

2000-2002 CHEVROLET CARS- Monte Carlo- all

1997-2002 CHEVROLET MINI VANS- Venture- all,Exc. AWD

1997-2002 OLDSMOBILE- Aurora- all

1998-2002 OLDSMOBILE- Intrigue- all

1997-2002 OLDSMOBILE- Silhouette- all

2001-2001 PONTIAC- Aztek- all

2000-2002 PONTIAC- Bonneville- all

1997-2001 PONTIAC- Grand Prix- all

1997-2001 PONTIAC- Transport - inc Montana

Don't know about calipers and brackets. I would think that any that are designed for a 11" rotor will work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used what the junk yard told me was off a 99 Olds Intrigue with heavy duty brakes. </div></div> I think the HD brakes are 12", you likely got the regular duty version. Agree that it will still likey be a big improvement.

2004012116_Display-25.gif

Yup, HD means 12" rotors and a taller bracket to fit them. Pads and calipers as far as I can see are identical.

I went back to the junkyard to tell them they sold me the wrong parts, they claimed it had the HD code so I took them and left. But glad now to know the light duty fit in the 15" rim and if I want to take my rims off for winter I can use the same pads and caliper and change out the rotor and bracket. Or if I want to sell my car I can put the light duty on so I don't have to sell my wheels with the car, guessing with the larger holes drilled I shouldn't go back to stock wink.gif

Guest Greg Ross

Good to hear you like the Aurora Kit, I was really impressed with the improvement. For all those folks who haven't considered this swap and if you do have 16" or taller rims, the enhancement feels like a 50% increase in braking action. Rob mentioned locking up the front and getting the ABS to kick in. Try that on dry pavement with stock rotors and pads!

And yes the next step is a boost for the rear brakes. With the amount of generic adaptations for parts there should potentially be something out there that would fit.

• 4 months later...

Took off the 12" brakes and put on the 11" to fit the stock 15" wheels, brakes rub on the spokes, would need some ceaning up to possibly make work, did not catch when I put on quickly to test before putting on the 12" brakes. But instead of going back to stock brakes I'm going to see how much would have to be cleaned off the caliper to make the wheels spin wink.gif I'll post pictures later.

There is a 3mm wheel spacer made for Mercedes wheels that might fit. That is narrow enough so that the rim should still be able to register on the hub but if you just have a scrape situation it might be enough.

I used them on my Fiero because I had a similar situation with the 7" Beretta wheels mounted. That was 5x100 and you need 5x115 but think they were universal.

This brake conversion information is great, but it would be a huge benefit to all Reatta owners if someone would put all the facts, car models, etc together in a nice conversion format and send to Tom Jenkins (www.reatta.net) and he will post it for everyones viewing. This forum information gets lost and the individual comments are sometimes hard to follow. We have lots of people out there with great experience, please share it.

Since there was no response......what if each of you send me what you know and I will compile it into one technical piece on upgrading the brake rotors?

Don't post here. Send directly to my email and if I have questions, I will get back to you. This will only work if everyone offers their knowledge.

What cars parts transfer?

What years?

What is the rotor sizes?

What cars parts fit without changing rim size?

What needs to be machined?

I will be waiting on your input.