Rear Control Arm

Guest Rollingt

Guest Rollingt

Hello, new member with a old Reatta. Looked over the forum many times before buying the car. Maybe somebody know what to do next. The old shop willing to tackle the job of installing new rear struts was a Buick dealer. The bolts were rusty so they used a flame wrench to remove the bolts. In the process they

burned the bushings in the control arm. Dealer told me a new control arm is approx. $500.00 plus the additional labor. So far I have over $800.00 in labor alone. The question is: are there busings available? If not, where might I find a control arm. Thanks to all. Rollingt

How far are you from Frankfort, Ill? Larry Claypool has a shop there and he is a very talented mechanic. He works on may strange cars and if you can get an appointment, Larry will fix your car right.

21359 S. 80th Ave. (815-469-2936)

Guest F14CRAZY

I don't know suspension systems well but I think this post is relevent. I'll try to link it

suspension replacement questions

If it doesn't work, there's a post titled "suspension replacement questions" and I think the same bushings are mentioned from Jegs

Is there a need for just bushings or did they melt the control arm itself. Is it just that the whole assembly is rusted out?

The control arm bushings are a reasonable distance from the lower strut bolt.

The bushings were used from 86 to 93 for a variety of E-Bodies. Maybe a used control arm with new bushings is in order.

Several E body cars used the same rear suspension. I replaced a bent rear control arm (don't ask) with one from a junked Olds Toronado and put in new bushings from AutoZone. Not a big job--a pain, but not challenging. The shop wanted that price because the replacement part is the whole assembly--much more than you need.