Low Refrigerant A/C Question (SOLVED!) Important Update!

Filobedo

I am currently disabled.

And can't afford to charge my A/C right now.

Is there any way to stop the "Low Refrigerant" Promt?

It displays every time I start the Car.

And is becoming a major pain crazy.gif

(SOLVED!)

'Update'

"Just clear all the Codes & disconect the Compressor".

Guest F14CRAZY

If my calculations are right...

Use the "econ" climate mode instead of "auto." The compressor won't be turned on this way, and I think it can only bug you if it turns on.

Guest C.F.Massie

Clear the code and use the ECON for air from now on until you can get the A/c looked at. Clearing the codes is easy using the CRT diagnostics or you can just disconnect the battery and then reconnect. This will clear the code but you will have to reset your radio station preselects if any and personal settings you may have put in. The only other time the compressor will come on is when you use the defrost so avoid that also if you can for now. frown.gif

No dumb questions here on this site, just some good info that everyone here are willing to supply to fellow Reatta owners, of all auto maintenance skill levels. We love these cars and are always willing to help. wink.gif

Guest kennyw

I use a battery dis-connect. I still get the a.c.low everytime. So the fix is to disconnect the compressor? Is this right? ken

Guest imported_barra

Two things that have come up in this forum.

1) The ac system seems to be very sensitive to the amount of refrigerant it has, a pound or two lost can make a difference.

2) The evaporator coil in GM cars of this era frequently corrodes and leaks. Replacing the coil is labor intensive/expensive. There is a "stop-leak" additive that will work for a while.

Good luck.

Guest Greg Ross

As Dr. Watson recommends!

At least on '88 and probably on '89s' there's a "Heat" setting option. As long as the Codes are cleared and you leave it set on "Heat" even if "Defrost" is activated the BCM should remember the Default setting. It's only in AC mode that the compressor clutch engages and the BCM looks at the sensor inputs.

A very Smart car!

The compressor might come on in the defrost mode.

The A/C systems removes humidity from the air so the window clear faster.

And keeps the a/c system lubricated in the winter

Air conditioning is expensive to fix on these cars.