How to start a car after 20 years?

twister25f

Thanks to all who replied to my previous posts about my 1941 Dodge. Next question : what needs to be done to try to start a car like this after sitting 20+ years? Looks like it had been tinkered with recently but hard to tell if it had actually been started. I'm working on a budget (small one) which prevents me from replacing everything with new to start with otherwise I would. What parts are a given that will need to be replaced before starting? I figure the battery for sure, spark plugs & wires? I've heard of dropping a capful of oil down each cylinder to start with but I figure there's lots of other things to address before I get that far? Any help would be appreciated as this is all new to me! Thanks!

Dizzy has the priority right! Oil pressure 1st! Do get some Marvel Mystery oil down each cylinder right away (lots is OK). This will help keep the rings from scoring the walls and help to loosen them if they are stuck. Sooner the better to allow some soak time. Once it is started, she'll smoke like a zoo chimp, but that's only temporary (hopefully).

Disconnect the fuel line to the fuel pump to avoid pumping old fuel into the carb. Use an electric pump ($7 @ NAPA) to drain the fuel system. Careful of the old hoses! They can burst once it had came to temp and pressurized. Best to replace them along with belts, plugs, wires, points, condenser and all the filters. You really can't skimp on this stuff or you could cause $$$ damage. Consider it cheap insurance.

Get new fuel into the system and add some fuel cleaner to it for the 1st couple of tanks at least too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Smoke like a zoo chimp"

John, I love it!!!!

It would be a good idea to not just change the oil, but if you can, drop the oil pan and scrape any sludge that may have accumulated at the bottom. You don't want that sludge working its way back through the engine. </div></div>

Thanks! [cough... cough] smirk.gif

I usually will add about a quart of diesel fuel to the oil and let it IDLE (only IDLE) for a couple minutes before changing it right away. This helps break that up if removing the pan is not feasable.

---------------------

John

Rocky Mountain Amphicar

WebMAster - www.amphicar.com

WANTED - ANYTHING AMPHICAR!

Don't forget to change the oil again after adding anything like that to the oil. There are some over the counter detergents (mostly kerosene, I believe) that are available to loosen the gunk out as well. I used that on my Packard.

I could not drop the pan because the front motor mount needs to be replaced.

The order in which I conducted the job:

1. drained the oil.

(Just for kicks, after I drained the oil, I ran a wire rod through the drain plug hole and scraped the bottom of the pan and listened. It sounded clean, except for the area immediately surrounding the drain plug.)

2. added cheap oil plus the kerosene

3. ran the car at idle for a few minutes

4. Changed the oil again

Thanks to all who have responded so far! Now here is another question. How much of this stuff is still available at local parts stores like NAPA or O'Reilly's? Obviously whatever they have isn't going to be exact reproductions which is fine. I just want to get it running again and it is far from a show car thus my indifference. Also I assume this '41 Dodge is 6V? Can you still get suitable batteries without getting expensive repros or what can be done to convert it to 12V? Sorry for all the questions! I'm just a car dummy trying to figure stuff out! Still searching for a shop manual too...Let me know. Thanks!

Guest De Soto Frank

'41 Dodge is six-volt, but please note:

POSITIVE terminal gets connected to Ground. ALL six-volt Chrysler products are this way, and it is the OPPOSITE of modern cars("negative-ground").

Sam's Club sells group 1 six volt batteries (at least they do around here), you should be able to pick one up for about $35.

If you're just firin' it up to see if it'll run, you don't need to drain the gas tank or replace all the belts and hoses at first...I WOULD disconnect the fuel line from the tank at the pump, and get a legnth of 5/16" rubber fuel line hose (about 6 feet) and run that into a can or jug with fresh gasoline.

Definitely get some MArvel Mystery oil in through the spark plug holes (about 1 - 2 oz per cylinder). Turn the engine over by hand first, at least 2 complete revolutions (to make sure you don't have any stuck valves), then lay a rag over the open spark plug holes, and turn the engine over with the starter, in 10-15 second bursts. You should see some oil pressure on the dash gauge after a few attempts.

Once you see oil pressure, then you can reinstall the plugs and add fuel and fire, and see what she'll do. A little starting fluid may help waken sleeping beauty.

If it starts and runs, and you want to go further ,then you can get into belts, hoses, fuel tank, etc....

Oh, also check things like air cleaners, carb intake, etc. for debris from mice etc...they'll move-in almost anywhere, particularly where something was taken apart more than a month ago...

Good luck!