Instrument Panel Bulb Replacement Question

gordon140

The Brake and Anti-Lock "idiot" #94 light bulbs in the instrument panel of my 1989 Reatta are never lit (not at TEST, Greeting (Light Show), parking brake on, etc. I am guessing that the light bulbs are bad or disconnected, but I am hesitant to try and get to the bulb sockets without asking for some expert advice from you nice folks. I have tried to find the info from the FSM and from Threads, but have struck out.

As an aside, the brakes seem to operate perfectly and the CRT indicates that the brakes are OK and also when appropriate shows when the parking brake is on. Also, the State of New Jersey inpection facility "passed" the brakes after putting the car onto some kind of gizmo which gave me a printout titled "Brake Balance Results"

From other threads, I have been successful in removing the panel trim, and would appreciate instructions as to how to proceed from here.

Five weeks ago I purchased this 1989 Reatta and I'm trying to get everything to work properly. With the enormous help of this discussion board, I have made good progress, even though I'm somewhat of a novice.

The red and yellow ABS and brake lights are replaceable bulbs on the '88-89 clusters but not replaceable on the '90-91s. I have also noticed these lights do not come on sometimes from the test button but you mentioned when putting on the parking brake the red brake light would come on. This tells me the light and its socket are good. Pump your brake pedal about 10 time sort of fast and the yellow and red lights should come on and go off again. If they do, you have no problems with the lights. I have several Reatta parts cars and have had some of these clusters apart. Sometimes the bulbs are good but there is corrosion where the bulb socket fits up against the printed circuit board.

Again if your lights come on with the brake test everything should be OK

I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com for any parts.

Jim:

My post wasn't clear. When the parking brake is engaged, the CRT gives me a parking brake engaged notice (and words light up on the instrument panel which tell me to look at the CRT). The idiot light is NEVER on under any circumstance.

Do you know how I can access the idiot light bulb sockets once I have the panel trim removed?

• 4 weeks later...

I successfully replaced the 2 brake idiot light #194 bulbs and thought that I would share some info. After removing the panel trim, one then removes the large plastic cover which is attached with 5 chrome colored 5.5mm hex head screws.

Next comes the piece that is displayed below (front and back). it is held in place by a plastic tab at the left end and the right end (in my case one of the tabs is broken, so it just fell off).

IdiotLight2.jpg

IdiotLight.jpg

Light bulbs are now visible

Dash.jpg

Both of my brake idiot light bulbs were missing, so someone at some time was hiding something. Fortunately, brakes and idiot lights work properly now.