55 Roadmaster oil pan removal

super55

The idler arm is the least of your worries...just 2 bolts on the right frame rail and pull the draglink down, remove the crossover pipe, remove the oil filter and the flywheel cover at the lower front of the transmission. The ramps should not be and obstacle other than having to crawl around under the car like a lizard. I have a service pit in my shop and the last time I had to R&R a pan on a 55 it took about 3 hours. This was on a recently assembled engine...could take a lot longer if the crossover/manifold/exhaust pipe fasteners have not been removed in a long time. Also I had to loosen the rest of the exhaust system since the exhaust pipe needs to go back about 2".

Have fun!

Willie

Like OldTank said. Idler arm is easy part. If your Exhaust system is newish it's meerly a pain in the butt. If the flange nuts are rusted to the exhaust manifold studs and you twist the studs off.........well, you get the point. It's anywhere from a 2 hour job to a burn the damn thing where it sits deal. You pretty much must remove the whole exhaust system. When you put it back together use brass or stainless nuts and anti sieze....Bob.