Distributers

Have any of you ever rebuilt or replaced a distributer on a 455. The parts store told me that they will only rebuild a core if I bring it in. Well, I can't afford to have my car down for a month. Anyone know of a supplier who sells distributers?<P>I'm am currently running an HEI.<P>All I have seen for sale is the ACCEL Billitproof for $258.<p>[ 08-06-2002: Message edited by: Tomsriv ]

DOH! Don't know about the HEI but the local AutoZone had a points type distributor for my 70 455 in stock and I just bolted it in and set the timing and it has been running well ever since! 2 summers. My old distributor had "stuck" and sheared the rivets for the plate off so the whole plate was rotating! :-) I still have it in a box somewhere for some reason! :-) If I recall the points distributor was like 30.00 with points and condensor already installed! Maybe you could throw one of these in while you got the HEI distributor rebuilt.

MSD makes the billet distributor, I have one in my '70 Skylark Racecar, bought from Summitracing.com or Jegs.com 2 years ago for around $216,it's gone up to $279! MSD-8517 awesome piece! you will still have to have the springs and weights set up for your engine combo though, other thought would be to find another HEI in the junkyard off a low mileage car to keep yours going till you can have one rebuilt. there's not much too them but if the bushings are worn or the shaft is worn then you have to replace those parts. Hope that helps Roberta

Accel and others also do stock replacement-type HEIs, but I haven't looked to see if they have units for genuine Buick V-8s. You can look in the Accel website and peruse their online catalog listings. I suspect that what they sell will have the high performance advance curve items already in it. The web catalog's in Adobe Acrobat format so it might take a little time, but it's a big catalog.<P>Other than the local auto supply, there might be a genuine rebuilder in your area that would have a faster turnaround time. All they are going to do is replace the bushings in the housing and maybe put a new/refurbished shaft assembly in it plus the electronics. I suspect they'll also cold tank it to make it look nice too. <P>Afterall, all the auto supply is probably going to do is send it "somewhere" to be done so if you can take them out of the loop you'll have more control over the situation and probably save some money too. Doing some research might lessen the downtime somewhat.<P>Just some thoughts . . .<BR>NTX5467

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET A REMAN DIST. @ A CHECKER/SCHUCKS/KRAGEN STORE. A FRIEND OF MINE MANAGES ONE, HE GAVE ME AN A-1 CARDONE PART #30-1894. THET IS THE ONE I HAVE IN MY BUICK 455, AND I HAVEN'T HAD A PROBLEM. IT IS LISTED FOR I BELIEVE A 75 BUICK RIVIERA. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A CHECKER STORE NEAR YOU YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORE SHOULD BE ABLE TO CROSS THAT NUMBER TO SOMETHING......SEE YA.....EDDIE.....