Quoted 2,122 to repair (parts and repair)

kleino

I recently totaled my 1991 Reatta. Parts were located and had looked over by two gentlemen. Damages were to front fender, door and bottom of rear panel. Alignment person said strut in front broke and rear control pin was bent. He said it would be fixed or replaced. All on drivers side. Do you think I should have fixed and painted? I received a settlement of 5,500. I know it must pass inspection to drive but will I be safe driving? Is there anything I should make sure is done when having them do the repairs? I love my car but would I be better using the money towards a new car and sell parts or the remainder of the car? Sorry, but I need to let them know in two days. It has 72,000 miles on it and immaculate. Always had hot oil treated and frequent oil changes. Thank you everyone for all your help. Sandy in Ohio

Guest kennyw

I have the idea that you do not understand. If the insurance company has totaled your car and gives you $5.500 for it you no longer own the car. The insurance co. then sells it for parts. It is usually not to hard to get them to let you keep the car. If the car can be repaired back to the condition before the damage for the $2,000 etc you are a winner. If this does not include the parts being painted, you have to add that cost. Right now you can get a pretty nice Reatta for $5,500. Maybe not a 73,000 mile car like yours but nice. It is your choice.........let us know what you do..........k

Everything you mentioned is repairable and as long as the structure is straight and there is no rust I would not be too concerned about repairing it.

Sounds like the car drove over something to have the damage you describe.

Sandy,

Take a chunck of the excess cash and do a quality(Dupont Chroma Premier) paint job on the whole vehicle...still $ ahead, have a nice fresh/updated, rare, paid for, 91 collectable automobile worth 6 k or better to scoot around in instead paying for a new car every month. smile.gif

Opps, did I mention Classy.......

No one's mentioned that fact that it now has a SALVAGE title, which takes more than a little nick out of its value. Unless, of course, Ohio does not issue a clouded title. (At one time, California made salvage dealers drive a spike through the driver's-side doorjamb, so it would always be identified as a salvage vehicle.)

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>

Florida also has salvage titles however you can usually negotiate with the insurance adjuster if you are going to keep the car and avoid that - it becomes a paid out claim rather than totaled and you never surrender the title.

Did that with son's Grand Am when he was rear-ended last year and they wanted to total it.

Guest kennyw

I would think the if sandy bought the car back the title never changed hands. In that case, no salvage title. Sandy has a slam dunk. Parts is parts. It does not matter if they were put on in the factory or at a body shop. I wish I had a reatta with that low milage pretty and shinny and about $3,000 in my pocket. What are you waiting for? Go girl, you are a winner.......ken

If the insurance company took possession of the vehicle with either a power of attorney to change ownership OR the title itself, then there is a 99.99% chance it WILL have a 'branded' or salvage title. All 50 states now must issue salvage titles, so the days of moving the title from one state to another to "wash" the title are over.

Even if there were a way to avoid a salvage title, it WILL soon have an entry in CARFAX and most other major title search Web sites, which is virutally the same thing as a branded title.

If, however, the owner wants to fix and enjoy the car, then a salvage title doesn't matter. But if the owner ever wants to sell it at auction, trade it in or somehow fix the car to make money on it, the car will be identified as a salvage title vehicle.

One thing I would do before deciding to get it fixed: get a written estimate from the shop that states that the MOST the car will cost to fix is a defined amount. The last thing you want is to go in thinking it will be fixed for $2K, but then have the shop call after finding "hidden damage" and the cost immediately goes to $4K. It happens...more than you think.

Joe

the deal with a salvaged title is that if the insurance company never takes possesion of the title then they dont label it salvaged. i had an s10 that was rear ended and the insurance company said that it was totaled so the paied me blue book on it and i bought it back for $150 and then turned around fixed it and sold it and it has a clear title as long as you dont give the title or car to the insurace company then your title will be clear.

For us it was not ethics but economics, after a car (or truck) gets old, an insurance company will total it in a relatively minor altercation. In my son's case, he was rearended which broke the taillights and tore the bumper cover but there was no structural damage. After we settled I was able to find an entire bumper/light assembly (right color even) and it just bolted on.

Since we had just gone through the engine and everything mechanical was right, finding another equivalent car without a major investment would not have been practical.

Guest EDBSO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to Ethics 101. Please bring bluebooks and No. 2 pencils.

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span> </div></div>

No bring a number 4 it erases easier and without trace tisk tisk

To Reatta Man or Matt:

Wish I would have talked to you before I gave the salvage title back to adjuster. I thought it was standard procedure as proving I had done what he asked. Gave me the check and asked for the salvage title and then he mailed it back to me. Guess to late for that?

Kleino,

That is life--we live, we learn and we move on. At least you are trying to save an interesting Buick from the crusher! THAT is very commendable.

Hey, if I could pick up a nice reasponably priced '70-72 GS convertible that had been repaired by a competent professional and functioned as it should, a branded title wouldn't stop me.

If a perfectionist were looking to buy your car in a few years, he or she would probably pass. But, keep in mind that they would pass on a car that had not been wrecked, but had been driven every day. These guys are looking for a car that still has the window sticker on the glass, and an odometer with less than 10,000 miles on it.

But, if you show a buyer the photos of the accident damage, and then show the area that was repaired, you are up front with the details and hide nothing, the buyer can make an informed decision. AND, you get an A+ in the Ethics class, with or without a #2 pencil!

Joe