straight eight[super] running hot

sledheader 48381

HELP!! Have 47 buick straight eight that runs hot, bought the car as a partial restoration a year ago it ran well but had been sitting for a number of years.The radiator was leaking so I had a new one built by a local rad. repair shop that I have used for years, also knocked out freeze plugs and replacing, in the process totally flushing the block,new 160 degree thermostat as well,one other thing the car gets great heat for about a half hour to an hour but than starts to blow cold from the under seat heater. Thanks Don

i would guess your new raditor is clogged again.

My recored raditor was plug again after a year, so before you go crazy, spend $100 and get in boiled out again.

The seat heater is were all the dirt collects. change the hoses.

Had the same problem on my 56. Sediment in the block just gets kicked up and circulated. I recommend you buy a water system filter. I got mine from Tony Gentlicore tonyg@mako.com.au and it was less than $50.00. I did cut my upper heater hose to install it, but it is a great filter, with a stainless steel mesh screen that is removable for cleaning. I couldn't believe the sediment it caught and it has saved my recored/ re-rebuilt radiator.

JD

Is your thermostate by-pass valve working correctly???

Its the thing that the thermostat seats into and has the short large diameter hose that goes into the top of the waterpump. If that spring is weak or rusted off, the water bypasses the radiator and just circulates through the engine and water pump only. It is explained in the shop manual.

bill