Ever had this happen?

TRog

Purchased a 1988 Reatta two weeks ago. Noticed gas was coming out of the rear of the car with the key on and the engine not running. Prior to noticing that, we drove the car home (over 65 mph) and the Reatta runs very good. We are thinking it is leaking on the gas return side of the fuel pump. Took the car to have this gas problem fixed, however, when the mechanic jumped in to start the car right after we shut it off at this place of business, this car would not turn over at all. Battery connections are good, new battery fully charged, the car has a new complete delco starter, starter relay has been changed with a new one. What else is there? Car is in park and checked several times to make sure. All the lights come on in the dash, but when you try to start it, nothing happens. Also, the emergency flasher started flashing and we can't control (on or off) the emergency flashers with the switch when this was going on with the starting problem. Probably why we got the car so cheap...think? Anybody ever had this happen to them? Thanks in advance for any help. TRog

Guest Greg Ross

Yes.

Several years ago no, started the car, pulled it out on the sterrt, parked and shut it off. It would not restart a few minutes later.

You are going to need to get into the Service Manual under "Alarm System Module" This involves a relay that diables the starter circuit. You should also check the tranny position switch to make sure it's going into park.

In my case, I have a manual tranny, was able to bump start and thereafter it has been fine ever since. Average 30,-40,000 miles a year on this car and it's never done this again.

First you need to clarify ...it would not crank or would crank but would not start.

If nothing happens, it could be the (1) ignition switch, (2) starter interrupt relay, (3) gear selector interlock. A good mechanic would probably start by energising the starter solenoid to verify that there is good voltage getting to the starter and it is ok... then work back checking the other items.

If it cranks but doesn't start, there is a laundry list of things to check.

My "guess" is you have problems in the steering column. I have sold several columns for the '88-89s as they seem to fall apart inside. You mentioned it wouldn't crank. Inside the column when you turn the key it pushes a rod down the column and activates the switch near the bottom of the column to crank the engine. You can remove the black panel under the drivers side dash and you can see the rod pushing on the switch when you turn the key. Try and push it a little further and see if it cranks.

The 4 way flashers giving you a problem also leads me to think it is a column problem.

You don't say where you live but in northern climates it is not unusual for the gas lines to rust out just in front of the drivers side rear wheel.

from what you said about the flashers flashing it sounds like you have a aftermarket alarm in your car that will cause the flashers to go on and off by them selves and would explain your no start "ignition interupt" take a look for any aftermarket wiring harnesses and fuses

Mike