New guy with questions

First off this is the first Mopar product I have ever owned. I just got a 52 Windsor two door, it has been sitting for ten years in a garage and would like to trailer it home but the brakes are locked up. I hear they have very different brakes on the rear, would draging it out of the garage with a chain to free up the drums hurt anything? Plus how do you get the rear drums off. Most everything else seems straight forward to me as changing fluids and all the normal things you would check out for a car that has sat for 10 years. If their is anything that is unique feel free to guide me along. It has fliud drive which I have never worked on so clue me in. I have been GM all my life so this is all new to me.I am a decent mechanic but never worked on this stuff---so make me a beliver. Thanks

Greetings to new guy. Mopar brake systems are about the same for all makes &the

adjustements are about the same for all models too. From the back side of the backing plates

at the top there are 2 adjusting cams one for the back shoe & one for the front shoe.

Left drivers side of the vehicle rear brake turn the back shoe adj.clockwise & the front shoe adj.counter clockwise to loosen the shoe adjustements away from the drum.The same process on the other 3 wheels. After the adjs. have been backed off & the wheels won't rotate, remove the wheels & rap the brake drum with a hammer around the shoe contact area of thdrum. This should free the drum from the shoes & let the vehicle roll.

Good luck...plymoth@webtv.net

Thanks Pymoth,

I have this locked brakes problem on a '47 Dodge D24. Will the brak adustment be similar on that car?

I also have enjoyed visiting the P15-D24 site. There is good information there, but you have to visit regularly because the forum is "archived" weekly. Information and fun stuff flies fast and furious. Lots of friendly people. It's just a little different from posting here at AACA.

I'll look for you there, '52.

Guest imported_Ricky Luke

Hi Guy

The webmaster of the P15-d24 site has compiled a searchable CD or DVD of the previous forums. He sells them to keep the site going. Theres a ton of information on them about brakes. Worth getting.

Yes, old threads are also downloadable but with just a dial-up connection too time-consuming for me. The CD is an idea, though. Meanwhile, I'm just catching information "on the fly" and there's a lot of it every week. Anything that I can use on the '47 is being compiled in a Word document. Do you post over there, too?