Battery Polarity 1922 DB

Toeout

Guest Dave Wilburn

My grandfather told me that these can be changed to negative ground by switching leads on the back of the ammeter and that everything else will switch over automatically. Is he right, or will this not work?

My car has an electric fuel pump to prime the vacumn tank, but we had to insulate it from the frame so it wouldn't short out the positive ground.

Guest imported_RAH

Toeout,

initially the electrical system was traditional 'Negative Ground'. This from 1915 to late 1922. You did not specify the serial number of your '22. Cars after Sept. '22 were positive ground. Actually the North East starter/generator could care less either neg. or pos. the first time you hit the starter switch the fields will polarize according to the wiring and will work either way. Obviously the ammeter connections will need to be fastened accordingly. For all practical purposes one may use a rule of thumb that the N/E model 'G' was negative ground. And the N/E model 'GA' used positive ground. Another indicator was when the horn button was moved from the driver's door to the steering wheel the polarity changed from neg. to pos.. I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley