obtaining a title

Ravens24

In NY a 1967 car would not have a title. It would have a registration, either transferable or non transferable.

I bought a car from Connecticut and the title from the owner looked kinda weird, it was handwritten. When I went to the NY DMV they gave me a non transferable registration. This allowed me to drive the car but essentially I could not sell it. This is something to watch out for.

JD

I have pursued both avenues with success: going thru the state & using a title service. I bought a heavy duty 1940 truck without a title. Title service wanted $275 for regular trucks... I never did get a price estimate for a HD truck- without question it was more ($350??). But a title service I used about 10 years ago for another car only took a few weeks and was a very smooth & simple procedure (only 'outside' requirement was 1 notarized statement). Yes, it's legal.

I recently finished going thru the state (NJ) to obtain the title for the same HD truck. It only ended up costing me about $135, but it took MONTHS and required MUCH time & mileage to do so. If saving $150 or so dollars is crucial and you don't mind getting tangled up in VIN rubbings, notarized witness statements (4), running public notice ads in the local paper and involving the local police... by all means go thru the state.

If I had to do it over I believe I would've swallowed the $215 or so and used a title service. IMO the stress is not worth that... tho I repeat: I live in NJ (slogan: 'The Militant State'). Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and involving the local police... by all means go thru the state.

If I had to do it over I believe I would've swallowed the $215 or so and used a title service. IMO the stress is not worth that... tho I repeat: I live in NJ (slogan: 'The Militant State'). Good luck. </div></div>

WQ; I am a former resident of probably the most beautiful area of the state [believe it or not, NJ does have some! - the tocks island area of the delaware water gap] - and I can well subscribe to your "militant" label for NJ ... I just look at it this way, think of new jersey as a PROGRESSIVE state - you see, they were treating its citizens like bush was in office - THIRTY YEARS AGO! grin.gifblush.gif

AS FAR AS THE COST OF THE TITLE -I'D PAY ANY AMOUNT TO AVOID [color:\\"red\\"] ANY INTERACTION WITH [color:\\"red\\"] ANY [color:\\"blue\\"] COP [color:"green"] ANYWHERE AT ANY TIME !!! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

The actual interaction with the police was as follows: I was required to run a public notice (intent to title) ad in the local paper for 3 days, then obtain an afidavit from the paper & send it to the police. Turns out I needed the original afidavit for the DMV, so I had to go to the police to get the original. They lost it and it took a few phone calls & visits before it turned up when a retiring officer was cleaning out his desk. They actually had no idea what to do with it and made no attempt to file it properly. They never actually saw the truck nor requested to do so.

Undoubtedly that will be quickly reversed once it's on the road this summer- it looks exactly like it crawled out of a junkyard after a 40 year nap. wink.gif It'll kind of be a test of the system...

I've lived in NJ all my life tho I've traveled the East Coast countless times. There are indeed beautiful areas and I have no beef on that front. It's the government that's so oppressive. (Alternate slogan: "Controlled Tyranny").