Where is the Power steering resevour on my 97 Park Avenue

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

I know I must be blind but my power steering pump is growling and I see a small amount of leakage from one of the hoses. I can't find the resevoir. In looked in the book and it says behind the belt below something towards the drivers side of the engine compartment and I still don't see it. Does anyone out there with a park know where it is at. Probably right in front of my eyes.

The "front" of the motor is "aimed" toward the passenger side. All that's on the driver's side is the transaxle.

I suspect it's toward the firewall side of the engine, considering that the steering rack is probably mounted rearward of the front wheels. If you follow the hoses, they should lead to the pump. The reservoir on late model GM fwd cars is usually either wrapped around, but separate from, the pump body itself (which has the pulley attached to it) or very nearby.

If the underhood decals are still in place, there should be a belt routing decal that will not only show the routing of the belt, but which pulley runs what.

Be sure to use ONLY GM Approved power steering fluid. NOT DexronIII.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest sintid58

I don't beleive the book says towards the front of the motor. I beleive it says towards the drivers side of the engine compartment. I can't beleive it is that hard to see. Both times I have looked I was dressed in clothes my wy wife would not have liked to see with oil spots on them and as I said before it looks like there is some leakage at the pump so I didn't want to put my hands down there and try to follow the lines. I didn't see any lines coming off the pump other than the ones going to the steering sector so am not sure. I don't drive the car every day so don't think about it until I am driving it, then I am usually not dressed to play in oil. I thought maybe someone else had the same problem I did and had found it thanks.

Guest elk93001

I would think that the mounting of the reservoir would be the same for all Series II 3800s. I went out and looked at my 99 Intrigue. Go to the passenger's side, just below the alternator there should be two heater hoses going into the engine. If you look in between the hoses you will see the black cap, with orange lettering...this will be what you are looking for. It is a little tricky to get to. Check the photo attachment you'll see what I mean

The only FWD GM car that I recall having the power steering reservoir on the driver's side is the Quad 4 which had this little belt driving the pump/reservoir on one side of the cam and the serp belt on the passenger's side driving the alternator and AC compr.

Elk93001. what a hiding place!!! Thank god my 95 Riv has the reservoir on top of the bracket for the accelerator linkage. That is on the drivers side of the car, and luckilly up on top of everything.

Guest sintid58

Thanks guys, I will look when I get a chance. I had to work for one of the weekend guys in operations this weekend am pulling 2 18 hour shifts. So at least if I can see tomorrow afternoon I will look for it.