HELP-serial # differences

36 panel

I need help. I am trying to decifer the serial # on my panel. The serial tag

(oval shaped) on the firewall has the # "H-2-3-LR11791" on it, but the title

states the "serial or ID no." is "t2339091".

There is also a rectangular plate that has the numbers 8137665. then a large

spcae and "LC". lower on the tag has 4175 LBS.

I am trying to decifer everything and can't make heads or tails of this.

thanks for any info given...

The LC was a 36 Dodge 1/2 ton 6 cyl made between Nov 1935 and Dec 1936. The range of serial numbers were from 8105601 - 8156402. The number that starts with a "t" is usually the motor number. The engineering code for that year was T-23-A-116; the 116 was the wheelbase. The 4175 should be the gross weight with a 1000 lb load. The truck must weigh 3175 empty. Hope this helps.

Harry

The seven digit number on the retangular plate falls into the range given for this model year. If anything the title will be incorrect, if the tags were changed it should be obvious - while rare and desireable, it's not too likely someone would have stolen one of these and changed the tags.

A look in the Krause Standard Catalog of Trucks may provide more answers, but I don't have a copy to check out.

Guest imported_Bill-W

Before World War II many states and provinces used the engine number as the identifying number for the car. In the case of Ford Motor Company, this was the only number to use as Ford did not have a serial number for the car. It used the engine number.

The other tag on the cowl, starting with "H", I suspect is the body number. Chrysler purchased most of the car bodies from Briggs prior to purchasing the company in 1952. But Chrysler also used Murray, Budd and Hayes for bodies as well, and Checker supplied truck bodies for Chrysler for many years.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 8 years later...