6 to 12 volt conversion for a 1940 Buick

Garyr1016

There's a lot of discussion on this on the Packard Message Board right now, and the consensus seems to be that a well-maintained 6-volt system will be perfectly adequate for the needs of a stock or original car. There are a lot of headaches involved with switching to 12 volts, including upgrading the clock and radio (the radio alone will probably run you $500-800 to rebuild and convert), plus all the bulbs in the car (and perhaps the bulb sockets), the alternator/generator (which won't look authentic anymore), the horns, the voltage regulator (usually internal to the alternator in 12V systems), all the gauges will have to be converted (or you will need to find a resistor that will drop the voltage), the ignition coil, etc. It's a big job that won't make any significant difference in how the car operates. Sure, the starter may spin a little faster, but if the car starts well now, why bother? There are no reliability issues or safety concerns with a well-maintained 6V system.

I'm not certain that there are any 12V batteries available that will fit that long, narrow tray in your '40, either, but I'm not 100% on that.

If you intend to install high-powered stereo equipment or power accessories, then you'll need 12V, and you probably won't mind non-original appearance. But for a stock or near-stock vintage car, the original system should be more than adequate for all your needs.

Hope this helps.

Guest Straight eight

No need to convert. These cars started in 10 below zero weather when all their parts were new. Just use good sized cables, not the little ones that 12 volt uses, and make sure all connections are clean.

In the 60's I regularly started vehicles at -30F with no problems I haven't encountered with 12 volt systems. My Packard starts just fine with 6 volt.

Thanks for the help Guys, 6-volt it is!

How would I power a tasteful sound system, my son tells me he can make my Big Band era jazz sound like front row seats. Perhaps installing an isolated smaller alternator and powering a 12-volt battery and sound system hidden in the trunk? or some kind of converter? I'd probably mount the speakers under the dash or put them in boxes and attach them to the floor, don't want to cut into door panels or kick panels. or am I just looking for trouble?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How would I power a tasteful sound system, my son tells me he can make my Big Band era jazz sound like front row seats. </div></div>

To have a ground shaker sound system would be hard to do on a converter/generator set up.

A modern cd/radio system with a couple of speaker boxes on a 6 volt system with converter would have adequate sound at least that's my experience. I preferred to maintain the original 6 volt system.

Here is an interesting generator/alternator conversion, scroll down about halfway to view:

http://www.uncommonengineering.com/

Now if you could get a 6 volt alternator in an original generator housing and use a 10 or 12 amp converter for the cd player you might come a little closer to rattling the windows laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I got Benny Goodman in my '40 by simply installing a 12 volt battery in the trunk, the cd player in the glove compartment and a couple of smallish but good speakers in the rear window. I cover the speakers up in the package tray with old women's hats. After a day or two of constant play I hook up the trickle charger over night. Not sophisticated but it works and it's loud enough to swing dance with my daughters in the driveway.

db

'56 Special (2)

'40 Century

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now if you could get a 6 volt alternator in an original generator housing and use a 10 or 12 amp converter for the cd player you might come a little closer to rattling the windows laugh.gif </div></div>

Though the price is daunting, I've considered this:

Gener-Nator