1991 red convertible Reatta for sale at dealer (lots of money)

Guest llaramie

Guest llaramie

Loren Buick, Glenview has it their showrooms. Never titled. I went and looked. Very nice; 16way seats; very clean -- has original sticker attached to passenger side of windshield. [edited for clarity 03/12/2005: ] Sticker says $37,641.00 -- The dealer is still asking for lots of money: $28,500.00.

The free carfax-report availble on this car at automart.com lists the VIN as 1G4EC33L6MB900492

To view at automart.com, replace my star/astrakiss with a "t":

h*tp://www.automart.com/vehicledetail/adid-11668448/1991/buick/reatta/-----------------glenview/il

Guest llaramie

The general Manager at Loren Buick told me that the fellow that they purchased from was also a car dealer; that dealer, never sold it, but used it from time to time, when the weather was perfect.

I guess a car can be sold from dealer to dealer and never be titled???!!! confused.gif

When a dealer receives a vehicle from the manufacturer he is awarded a "CO" (Certificate of Origin). THe dealer may keep the vehicle in inventory or operate the vehicle (as a salepersons or wifes demo for instance)for as long as wished. A dealer may also sell/buy or exchange a vehicle (called a "DX" ....Dealer Exchange)with another dealer. A vehicle is only titled with its first retail sale to a private individual or entity.

Vehicles (or at least the makes I was associated with)would carry the remainder of the new car warranty with the availability of an extended warranty. Either the dealer or the consumer would have the option of the extended warranty purchase depending on the deal particulars. This was years ago so present warranty policies and procedures may very well be different. Maybe Mike can add some insight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOOKING for '91 Polo Green conv </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Aren't we all? </span>

(Barney says you've a better chance going to Roswell, New Mexico, and finding a UFO.....)

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span>

Guest tempest68

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Barney says you've a better chance going to Roswell, New Mexico, and finding a UFO. </div></div>

I wouldnt be surprised if you FOUND a UFO, that the beings inside might just have the elusive '91 Polo Green 'vert tucked inside of their ship!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest llaramie

I was back to look at it the other day and checked the sticker.

The price on the sticker was $37,641.00 as you suggested. cool.gif

the blue convertible we have on our web page was purchased by us while still on MSO, meaning it had never been titled. this is easily done merely by driving it exclusively on a dealer plate, and never offically registering ("hard plating") the car. it had 49,000 miles and had never been titled.

as far as the warranty goes, technically the warranty starts at the "in service" date, not when it is first registered to a retail buyer. so if you would purchase a dealer demo, the number of miles on the odometer and the in service date would be subtracted from the remaining term/miles of the warranty.

Mike

Guest wally888

Jim,

Have knowledge of anyone having done this?

What would one have to do after removing top and rear glass?

This is NEVER a good idea!

1. Factory convertibles have LOTS of special modifications to stiffen the chassis and make the cars drivable. Some of the early Reatta convertibles didn't have enough modifications and had severe drivability problems--and these cars were FACTORY convertibles!

2. The title and VIN will always show the car as a coupe, so you will never legitimately be able to get the price of a true convertible.

Joe

ROFLOL!

Hey, dude, you got it going ON!

Your work is true art--because that car will never move again unless it is hooked up to a wrecker!

Maybe you could sell it to some university or government agency for $500,000 if you call it modern art? If you do, I want a commission......

Now, what could you do to a Lacrosse?

Maybe this is what Buick is missing--people who work on cars with a sense of humor!

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did it once and it came out real nice. check out the pix. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">And a nice job it was, Jim!

-- ALF </span> wink.gif

• 1 month later...