1956 OIds Horns Fail to Work HELP!!!!!!

FireballV8

I have a 1956 Olds Super 88 and the horns stopped working. I followed the shop book and it seems both horns are bad. I took them off of the car. How can I hook them up to a battery to test? When they were on the car and were activated they made a click click noise but didn't blow. Any ideas????? Does anyone have two horns for sale?

thanks

steveclassic@earthlink.net

Guest sixpack2639

Steve, To bench test your horns, ground the body of the horn to the negitive post of a battery and touch a jumper wire from the terminal on the horn to the positive post. If horn doesn't sound off it's toast, If it does you need to locate your horn relay and test it. Hope that helps, Carl

P.S. Check an interchange manual for your year Olds. A lot of accessories are interchangable between GM models ie. same horns used on Olds, Buick, Caddy etc.

yes, you can adjust them. the low note horn (753 on the casting edge) draws 8.5 to 10.5 ams at 11.5 volts. the high note casting (754 on the casting edge) draws 7.5 to 9.5 amps at 11.5 volts. bend the adjusting bracket down to decrease the current and up to increase the current. correctly adjusted, there should be .007 inch clearance between the bracket and adjusting blade. of course, you gotta tear 'em apart to do any of this. clean all of the contact points and ensure everything is solidly grounded.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mowog

Same thing happened last year on my MG. Both horns not working - I was in a hurry to get the car inspected, so just temporarily stuck a $10 Auto Zone horn in it. Couple of months ago I got the old ones working on the bench, put them in the car, and it was fine. Then this past Saturday I was bolting in a sway bar, knocked the horns around some. When I got done, all they'd put out was a sick little buzzing squeek. Guess I'll mess with them some more next weekend. The points adjust with a couple of little locknuts. Like you say, a little goes a long way.

Dan