Do Buick heads crack, or not....

Hi guys,<BR>here is another episode of the continuing troubles with my 65 sportwagon, the wagon that somebody forgot to throw in the trashcan in '73........<P>Because of overheating problems, and the presence of CO in the coolant (radiator)I have taken off the heads, had them checked at a machine shop, and put them back on with fresh FelPro gaskets. I used this opportunity to drill out three broken exhaustmanifold studs, and replaced the right rockershaft and rockers, very worn because one oilpassage in that head was completely clogged up.<BR>Also replaced the timingchain and gears,timingcover,that was damaged by the waterpump propellor (that story I posted before) , all major maintenance.<BR>Trying it out today, the car really flies compared to before.<BR>But.... after about 40 miles, it started to overheat again, and when I flipped up the lever on the radiator cap, for about a minute a lot of air came out. In the mean time, a boiling sound came from the intake manifold.<BR>My guess: a crack somewhere in the cylinderhead that opens up when hot.<BR>My question: is that common with these engines, or should I look elsewhere.<BR>When refilling with coolant, I let the motor run idle until the thermostat opened, then refilled, until it was full. Could there be a lot of air trapped somewhere??<BR>The radiator is new, as are the fan clutch (thermostatic) , waterpump and thermostat.<BR>For two years now I am battling this car, and I can remember comments from one of you guys to trash it. Although that would be the wisest thing to do, there is already such a huge amount of work and effort in it, I am not (yet) giving up. By the way, a Happy 4th. of July from Europe..

I know this is like closing the barn door after the horse runs away, but you should have had the heads magnafluxed when you had them off. I am surprised the machine shop did not suggest it. the Buick engines usually are not prone to air pockets,so it sounds like you do have a head problem frown.gif" border="0

Thanks for your response, Old Guy, but here in Europe we are always years behind. Magnafluxing is something I suggested the machine shop, and he stared at me with Big Eyes.....<BR>All he had to offer was a pressure test, but that is only pressure and not high temperature, and this only happens when the engine is really hot.Thanks!

I had this problem with a riviera 455. I replaced EVERYTHING in the cooling system. Still had the problem. I decided to take the Thermostat out(which was new)and put it in a pot of boiling water just to see for my self that it was opening. I boiled the Sh*t out of it and it never opened. I took it back to auto parts store and got another one and checked it before I installed it. This one opened. Who would have thought? I have since boil checked every thermostat before putting it in a vehicle. Larry

After checking the thermostat, you'll need to run the engine again to get the air out. <P>Just to make SURE you have all the air out, here's a tip to help. Before running the engine to get the air out, drive the front wheels up on portable ramps. This should force any air pockets to the highest point of the engine, and then to the radiator. If your car has air conditioning, leave it running while you are doing this. The air conditioning will force the engine to run much hotter while parked than just running the engine alone. While you are filling the radiator each time it goes down, due to the thermostat opening, be sure to watch for good water flow through the radiator rows. <P>If you can drive the car a few times and it not overheat, and then you don't find any water in the oil (the oil will quickly turn into a gray sludge on the dipstick if coolant is getting into the oil) then you didn't blow a head gasket or do any other damage. <P>By the way, cast iron heads rarely crack, and Buick heads in particular are known to be some of the most durable. As for trashing your car, unless it is so rusted that there is more body filler holding it together than there is steel, definitely keep it! Who knows--you may have the ONLY Buick Sportwagon in the Netherlands!<BR> <BR>Good luck!<P>Joe<P>[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: Reatta Man ]<p>[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: Reatta Man ]

Air WAS the cause of the latest overheating. <BR>Yesterday I had the system checked for CO, and now there was none.<BR>So the headgasket job turned to to be good, and with the trapped air removed, I took it for a test drive.<BR>60 miles, and after that it was still running cool, great.<BR>Compression is now equal among all cylinders,(12.6 bar, I do not know the psi equivalent)and it runs great like never before.<BR>Because of the finally closed exhaustmanifold gaskets, its whisper quiet.<BR>One thing: now there is a lot of blue smoke when accelerating, but maybe that has something to do with the removed carbon from the top of the pistons and combustion chambers. Do the heads have valve stem seals??? I found them in the felpro gasket set, but after removing some valves I didn't see any.Maybe the 65 doesn't have any. In the shopmanual they are not mentioned.<BR>Because the engine is now ultraclean and nice painted, I'll try to post some pics of the car and the engine.<BR>Thanks all!!!!

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have a suggestion. If your not using a different fan, try geting a hayden. I put one one my 401, it has mor blades, that flex. My car doesnt have a fan shroud, and it still does not over heat. The factory fan stinks. About the smoke... that doesnt sound good. I hope its just a passing symptom. Try the fan. For $25.00 or so it could be well worth it!<BR>Good Luck<BR>Jim