beefing up a 283

Joe Werner

i have a 57 chevrolet with a 283 2 barrel. My dad wants to beef the engine up in it (in a way its still his car) A guy my dad knows gave up some 57 powerpack heads what i would like do is put dual four barrels on it, (find orinal carbs and minfold from lates fifties) what other things would i have to do this engine in order to be sucessful? would i have to change spark plugs or anything like that?

heads and dual carbs are a waste unless you do a cam as well, no point in putting a big carb on there if it cant breath. also headers should alow it to breath more then stock and im sure you could find some fairly easy to fit. also might be worth your time to pull the oil pan off and check the lower end of the motor and make sure its in good shape.

just a thought

The 1 item that will do the most that you can "feel" on a small block is an aftermarket open plenum intake manifold. IF you do nothing else do that with a medium sized 4bbl. =500CFM. That will give you the most performance for the lowest buck and least amount of wrench turning. wink.gif