Stupid shop accidents

RVAnderson

Shop Rat......I use Tide detergent sprinkled on small oil leaks. I let it stay for a couple of days then mop it up. The kitty litter tends to harden and stick to the floor since it is basically clay if I leave it for a while. Reflecting on a previous comment, some years ago I was working on the flat head six in my Chrysler with the spark plugs out for a few days; subsequently' I put the plugs back in and cranked the engine. It fired up and ran for a few seconds then seized up. Problem, I had allowed a bolt to fall into one of the holes; result, was a hex hole on the top of one of the pistons. Again the adventures of Mr. Badwrench!

I will pass that on to Bill. We found something unusual that does a great job of cleaning chrome wheels or hubcaps, but don't use it on stainless steel. Bissell spray foaming bathtub cleaner. Wet the wheels/hubcaps down with water, spray with the cleaner and let it sit a couple minutes and most times you don't even have to use a brush or cloth, you can just use water to rinse it off and they are clean.

We get it at Big Lots for 99 cents a can.

Guest Randy Berger

Why don't you use the Bissel product on stainless? My wire wheels have stainless spokes and chrome rims and hubs. I'm still looking for a small utensil that will clean between the spokes.

YFAM, Randy Berger

OOPS!! Sorry, correction. Bill was speaking to my dad about a cleaner that my dad had that should not be used on stainless steel and I thought he was talking about the Bissell cleaner.

I know that there are brushes out there that are made for cleaning spokes. Have you tried one of them? Wonder if a Swiffer Duster, the one with the handle, dipped in water or cleaner would work? They have two different kinds of materials in them. Some super soft fuzzy fibers and the slightly stiffer woven/felted material. If you didn't want the stiffer stuff you could easily trim it off. I may just try that on our station wagon wheels. grin.gif

I was doing brake work on my old 34 Ford in the barn, using a floor jack.

My mistake was leaving the floor jack handel down, parallel with the floor.

When adjusting the front brakes I set the drag on the right front and kept going from Left to Right to compare the drag. I did this until my feet got heavy and allowed the old floor jack to do a perfect shoe string tackel on me.

As I fell I used my right arm to fend off the air compressor and the rapidly advancing floor. I knew immediatly I'd have to take a shower and go get the broken arm set. The brakes could wait to another day.

Guest tin knocker

This happened to a friend of mine several years ago. He was making wood on a friends farm when the tractor pulling the wood splitter became stuck in the soft ground. He unhooked the wood splitter and backed up his early 50's Dodge pickup to pull it out. He hooked a nylon strap to the hitch ball on the tractor and proceeded to pull it out. Watching in his rear view mirror he saw the strap go slack and thought it broke. Instantly his rear window shattered. Looking about he noticed a hole in his windshield in the exact shape if a trailer hitch ball. He was wearing a military style field jacket with the button down tabs on top of the shoulders. In passing through the ball ripped the tab from the jacket. This all happen so fast that it took a few moments to understand what happened. It was written up in the local paper along with a picture of the truck showing the hole in the windshield. The ball was picked up down range. He foolishly traded the very nice Dodge for a van which was a piece of crap and has regretted it ever since.