Counting timing chain links

Bill Stoneberg

On my 47 I was expecting to see some copper colored washers on the timing chain to line up the timing marks. But, I dont find any... So I am down to counting 10 links from 1 mark to another.

The chain links look like the letter M so I am counting from the front of 1 link to the front of the 10th link. Is this right or should I be going to the front of the 11th link so there are 10 full links between them ?

Hey Bill

I have an advantage on my nailheads: the service manual has pictures! It calls for 12 and the picture shows #1 thru #12 lined up with the marks on the crank and cam; if it is the same count 10 washers/pins and put the first on a mark and the 10th on a mark. Some one who has rebuilt at straight 8 should jump in here.

Willie

In my Motor's Manual for 1935 to 1953 it says to "Install chain so there are 10 links or 11 teeth, indicated by copper washers, between sprocket marks. 1936-53 In-Line-*". There is a very clear picture that accompanies this, but I don't have a scanner. I tried to take a picture of it with my digital camera. Hope it's of some help.