1954 chevy

jean49

First, check your electrical system for "leakage". Turn everything off and put an ammeter between the battery and the starter cable. If there is current flowing then you need to chase down a short. If no short, get a Motors Manual of 1950-54 vintage. There is a section on adjusting voltage regulators that covers the Delco unit on your car. If it turns out that your regulator is gone, you can get replacements from a lot of places such as Kanters. Replacing your regulator would be a lot cheaper than switching to 12 volt system.

Guest De Soto Frank

How old is the battery ?

Try this...get the car running and let it warm-up.

Shut it down (make sure ALL electrical loads are turned-off), and then remove the "Battery" wire from the voltage regulator (heavy red wire, often with a second wire siamesed into the terminal lug). Then touch the lug back onto the terminal a couple of times, looking/ listening for a spark...

If there is a spark, this indicates a current draw, which should not be there...

If you observe a spark, next disconnect the "Amrtature" wire from the regulator (the "other" heavy wire on the regulator); now touch the "Battery" wire to its terminal...if the sparking goes away, this indicates a problem in the voltage regulator, causing the battery to discharge through the generator when the car is not in use. ("Cut-out relay sticking closed" )

If this doesn't turn -up the culprit, make certain that the stoplight switch is not "sticking" in the "on" position...hydraulic pressure switches will do this, as will the mechanical "finger" switch that Chevy used into the '50s (found on the toe-board, under the brake pedal arm).

You have a problem that is not necessarily going to be fixed by converting to 12 volts... ( the only reason that would really be necessary would be if you wanted to run a lot of 12 volt accessories or had a hot-start problem that wouldn't respond to any other solution.)

hey jean i changed my 54 belair over to 12v.i had to weld up an alternator bracket and use a single wire altenator.i had to change all the bulbs including the tiny dash bulbs.then i had to use a resistor to break down the voltage to the gas guage and i still have to break down the voltage to the clock.i would rather have it 12volts but you have to weigh the lesser of the two evils.i just wanted to let you know some of the details before you decide!!! hank

Guest imported_JPIndusi

The replies to your original question are all good advice. When you do drive the car, does the ammeter show that the battery is charging? This usually means the needle on the dash gauge is in the plus region of its swing.

If not, you shut off the engine, place a jumper wire between the field and a good ground on the regulator and restart engine. If it now shows charge when you rev slightly above idle then it is the regulator. I have also seen where the generator may need to be re-polarized. You do this by shutting off the engine and temporarily jumping between the BAT and GEN terminals on the regulator. You will get a spark, but thats OK. Now restart engine and see if it charges.

Your problem could be a faulty regulator, faulty generator, faulty wiring or a worn out battery. None of these are particularly high cost items and repair or replacement will be easier than converting to 12 volts.

My $0.02.

Joe, BCA 33493

thanki you for the info. been a long time since i worked on "old" cars (not really so old since i am 57 myself :-), anyway thanks everyone will try them all this weekend and get back to you all with results. really appreciated.