The verdict is in on the new Lincoln Zephyr...

CBoz

I think it is a nice looking new car, but the problem is that it looks like a dozen others. Nothing sets it apart. It is not going to be the root of anything great. Look at the car the Zephyr spawned in 1940. If they were going to use the name, they should have taken a chance with the styling that would make it appear different than anything on the road. In 36 the Zephyr was radically different that any else, even the Airflows. In 2006 the Zephyr will be just another nice looking cookie cutter car. That is not a bad thing, but it is not a part of the legacy of the nameplate.

Since Dad (Roy Thorson) hasn't registered here as yet, I thought I'd post the following link to a video of Dad's former '36 Coupe Sedan at the Detroit Auto Show.

web page

Once on this page, select "show videos" and then use the pull down menu to select "Lincoln" to view the video. Dad sold the car to Lincoln Mercury for their use in promoting the new LZ. It is hoped the car will end up with the Lincoln Foundation once the promotions are finished. Dad and I hope to visit the Chicago Auto Show in February to visit the Coupe Sedan.

Craig Thorson

I worked the NAIS ("North American Auto Show"--Detroit auto show)all last week, and saw the new Zephyr. It's another bloated taurus to my eyes, not unlike the Continental of the early to mid 90's. What I would worry about re:the Zephyr name would be that Baby boomers who have no knowledge of the Zephyrs of the 30's and 40's will only associate that name with the late 70's-early 80's Mercury--Ford Fairmont based "square cars". Those cars were truly the anti-Christ on wheels. They were P-poor in their design and assembly, but (in that annoying FoMoCo way) just competent enough to stay on the road long enough to become a safety hazard. That could be the turn off to those of us who were around then. Someone who can remember the original Lincoln Zephyr might think that this new car has a useless slug of an engine, like the originals. Bad choice, Ford guys. There was a very nicely restored '36-'37 2 dr. coupe there, and it got as much attention as the new car.

Woah, Nelly!

"Useless slug of an engine"? The V-12 may have had it's reliability problems (which are fixable), but I've never heard it called a slug. Everything I've read has shown me that, in its time, its horsepower and top speed numbers were consistent with those of the junior Packards, Cadillacs, and Buicks it competed against.

V12Bill? Rolf? You all are much more knowledgeable than me. Your thoughts?

Hey Cece, thanks for the mention, actually reliability wasn't much of an issue in my experience, a tired V-12 would start and run with inordinate amounts of smoke, low oil pressure, oil leaks, and overheating, but reliably, their problem was they were a short lived engine, 30 K miles was about all that was expected of them, and they were very reliable in getting tired in about that life-span, and always expensive to rebuild, but while they were viable they were anything but a slug, and with a little carburetion and a properly synched distributor, would cream an Olds 88 in the stop light grand prix's, I know this to be true, because I did it back in the 1950's with my '40 LZ club coupe, I am wondering what our "slug" contributor with such a low regard for Ford products is doing here anyway?? There are plenty of Harvey Earl sites around, that although chrome plated from stem to stern, are not "square" or boxey, and although they have no class at all like a Mustang or a T-bird or a Lincoln Continental or Zephyr, Old Harvey did have a great looking 1940's hat, so he was not a total loser, and as I so often say, "to each his own", Peace, Rolf