Has this car been approved for one of the judging classes?

Rob P.

Hello,

I am restoring a 1961 Fiat Abarth 1000 GT. This is a limited production (18-30)built by Abarth using a 600 Fiat platform, alloy GT body and twin-cam Fiat based engine. It was raced in The FIA race series in europe in 1961, sold by the factory in 11/61 and exported to the USA. It raced at Nassau in '61 and at Sebring in the Three hour race in '62. What class would it be in and has it been accepted in any at this time? Thanks, ROB. [color:\\"red\\"]

Welcome to the Forum! Your car would fit in class 24-B "Documented Sports Race Car", you have to apply for the forms from the VP of Class Judging. What you have to do is prove to the Certification Committee that the car you have actually raced and is in fact the car. Just the way AACA protects the authentic race cars and prevents lookalike vehicles from being passed off as something they are not. Sounds like your car has a good paper trail and hopefully photos to document any features it had "As Raced". Is this what was called the Double Bubble Abarth? If you have a photo please post it on the Forum. Good luck.

I'm just curious - is this an ex-Team Roosevelt car? Any SCCA Nationals history? I can help you with documentation is you need it - send me a PM. My Sprite is from the same time period 1963-64. As I recall, Mahlon Kraft in Norfolk, CT has a similar car with Bridgehampton Double-500 history from 1963 of 64. He is a good source of info on these cars.I hope you are able to show the car soon - welcome to class 24B. There aren't too many of us, but we are an enthusiastic group.