Great Race 2002

NTX5467

The Great Race 2002 started this morning, the 15th. You can check out the race route this year on the Great Race website (www.greatrace.com I believe) plus a list of entrants, their cars, and sponsors. A LOT of Fords and I counted 12 Buicks out of 128 entrants. Of particular interest might be what appears to be the entries of Coker Tire with 3 1937 Buicks.<P>The website also lists the route and where events will be held along the route.<P>Check it out . . .<BR>NTX5467

Willis,<BR>I just returned from Downtown where the cars came in for the night. It was <B>GREAT</B>.<BR>All the cars going down the street in the middle of Houston. I saw cars I had NEVER seen or heard of before.<BR>There was a LaFrance Fire Chiefs car with chain drive, a car from the Chzeck repuplic (v8 rear engined) lots of Flathead fords (prepared by Rouche Racing), the Buicks you metioned with 322 Roadmaster engines and Open Pipes, Mercedes, a Pierce Arrow, old Pickup trucks, Model A's & T's and on and on.<BR>They will be in Hillsboro Texas for lunch tomorrow and Ft. Worth tomorrow nite.<BR>Call you club and go see them, its well worth the time.<p>[ 06-15-2002: Message edited by: Bill Stoneberg ]

Guest COMPACTBC

The GREAT RACE 2002 will end in Downtown Anaheim, CA on Saturday 6/22 at the Promonade. The Orange County Chapter of BCA will be there in force with many of our Buick Convertibles in the parade with the dignitaries. We are also going to display up to 30 of our Buicks along with all of the Great Race cars. Come on down, events start a 9:00 AM, lots of good family entertainment. grin.gif" border="0

Where exactly is the Promanade (the finish, what will parking be like)?? I saw that they will be in Temecula for lunch (I'm in Lake Elsinore), but I would prefer to see the buicks from your chapter. When do you expect the cars to get to Anaheim? How long will things be going??<P>Thanks in advance...

Guest COMPACTBC

The Downtown Anaheim Center Street Promenade is South of the intersection of Lincoln Ave and Clementine Street just East of Harbor Blvd. Parking shouldn't be too bad as they have a big parking structure right there. I think the festivities are scheduled to start in the late morning. The Buick Club and other car club vehicles will be parked on Clementine St. North of the Center St. Promenade. rolleyes.gif" border="0

The Great Race spent the night in downtown Scottsdale tonight and I was there! What a great sight seeing all of the classic cars roll in. Most you'd only see in a museum and I got to watch them drive in! There were two Marmons, a spectacular 1941 Caddy convertible sponsored by Focus On The Family, lots of Fords a handful of Packards. I think the second most cars belonged to Buick, a testament to their longevity and toughness. It was 110 degrees when the cars rolled in tonight. I chatted with quite a few of the drivers and navigators and they were all happy to talk. One guy with a 1932 Buick let my girls sit in his car while I took their picture! What a great time. Anyone in SoCal should make it a point to get out and enjoy this. I'm going to be there tomorrow morning when they leave at 6:00 AM.