63 nova header suggestions?

chub chub

i have a 63 nova with a 283ci engine transplanted into it. i'm looking to install headers but am worried about clearance since the stock manifolds already rub slightly against the side of the engine compartment. does anyone know what headers i can use and avoid this problem?

thanks in advance,

I got a 65 Nova in the process of going together this year which is without fenders and front end, but manifolds never touched the inner fender aprons when they were on. The problem is that while headers are basically the same different brands have little quirks for the same engine/car application. The only way to be sure is pull on manifold and buy a set of headers with the agreement that you can exchange or return if they don't fit.

And do NOT get any headers with tubes larger than 1 5/8" diameter. Larger is not better in this case. Trust me.

fahr29.gif

The primary tubes should be about 26-34" long on stock small block up to 327 cid and should be 1 5/8" diameter with 2 1/2-3 1/4" collectors as they actually scavenge better via a tad back pressure. They just run better. Smaller diameter long pipe do better than larger diameter short tubes.

The 350 with a stock hydralic cam does best with 1 3/4" X 36" tubes.

Just don't make the hot rodding mistake thinking bigger is better either in exhaust or intake, like carburation. You will not be pleased with an 800cfm carb on the 283. A 450cfm 4bbl. carb will produce superior air velocity for better throttle response and acceleration on the street. Even a 300cfm 2bbl. will perform very well. A big carb will give soggy performance on the street.

The thing that will give the most noticable "feel" of low end torque increase is an aluminum aftermarket intake manifold. tongue.gif

600cfm is max for sure. Is it a spread bore- smaller primaries than the secondaries? Those work real well. After you get headers in get 2 1/2- 3" exhaust pipes put on with a crossover tube that connects the 2 exhausts and forms like an 'H' and a low restriction muffler of your choice should top it off. Just hit a muffler shop that understands performance and they'll have everything to complete the exhausts.

Sanderson makes a good set of headers that will work on early Novas. Will fit between the shock towers and are quite good. Many guys end up putting a rack and pinion unit and building a new front frame to run big engines with large headers, deep sump oil pan, the works. Check out Sanderson when you're shopping around, Pat

Yeah the 63 could be narrower. That's why I mentioned having an agreement to be able to return the headers after a look-see on his 63.

Also, I'm wondering if the manifold is neearly touching the frame or just the inner fender. In the 65 the driver's side maniforld IS about touching the stereeing box. The right side has plenty of space though on a little more narrow car it could have the possibility of touching the frame. That said, it doesn't mean header tubes will not fit since they follow a different flow shape.

If they have been marketed again the old style Tri-Y header would be best. It has same general shape as the manifold but equal length tubes. Tri-Ys weren't manufactured for a long while but perhaps they are somewhere. If Sanderson makes a set see if your shop has them or can order them. If they have a web site it would be good to ask them.

the manifold is nearly touching the inner fender, not the frame. i'm not sure about the '65, but on my '63 with the 283 transplant, i have a little more room on the drivers side than the pass. side. as far as if it's a spread bore? i don't know. i'll see if i can find out.

• 3 weeks later...