WTB 1955 gas tank

progoofoff

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure 100% sure if the `56 will work or not but the parts book shows a different part number.....thanks </div></div>

say what? confused.gifwink.gif

Hollanders says 1954-55 Special, Century, Skylark will interchange. No mention of a 1956 working, and yes it's a diff part number. Hollanders also shows possible interchange with 1958 Olds "88" series per feedback from auto wreckers. Is yours too far gone to have it repaired by the "Renu" folks?

Budd

Sometimes the only difference is the amount of gallons the tank holds. Where the 40-60 series may hold only 20 gallons, the 50-70 series will hold 22 gallons. this may be the difference in the part numbers. Or the filler neck may be a different angle, this would be an easy fix. Being a wagon there may be quite a difference, from the passanger tank.

Jim Schilf

palbuick

I have a tank from a '54 Buick Special that I believe is in good condition. It was removed about 25 years ago and stored inside. I hope the tanks you have will work for you, not sure how easy it would be to ship a gas tank. If you are traveling anywhere near Baltimore I would be glad to give it to you.

Woody Michel

Hi Mike... yes, that was directed at you grin.gif I was curious about your experience, as I was thinking of using Moyer Fuel Tank Renu for mine.

So, the gas tank isn't supposed to have any coating on the outside? No paint, undercoat, etc? I just assumed "chassis black" is what mine should be painted, but if it's not, I'd like to know otherwise wink.gif

Thanks!

Budd

Budd,

From what I understand, from Willie Pittman, the tanks were galvanized and nothing else was put on them. When I got my car twenty years ago, there was undercoating all over it, but it supposedly came nekkid. Like I said my tank was a mess so I got it renu-ed. I tried the do it yourself stuff and it peeled off in sheets before I even got gas in it (luckily). I don't know if you would get points taken off, even at a National because supposedly they don't look under your car that thoroughly, but I haven't ever had this car judged. It will be this year so I guess I'll find out. grin.gif Talk to you later.

Mike

Guest imported_MrEarl

Budd, Mike,

None of my 54's or 55 and 56 parts cars gas tanks are "nekkid", probably because these cars were all undercoated at some point. Upon dropping the tanks, all of the tops of the tanks are without undercoat so are exposed stainless.

Great info, thanks guys. As always, I'm just collecting notes as to "what is what" with regards to the paint and finish of parts, so that's why I was asking about the fuel tank. Mine also has been sprayed with undercoating, so I image I'll find the same as the rest of you once I drop it. I think the fuel tank renu folks paint the tanks chassis black upon return, don't know if they go into detail as to trying to match factory finishes for a particular make/model.

Cheers,

Budd